My normally docile cat now won't let me move. Sudden aggression, went to vet, taking treatment for UTI but still freaking out.

evirae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys-- back when I posted before, my sweet cat Artie was having an issue with a bump on her mouth. That was taken care of, and she was a lifesaver during the pandemic. Unfortunately, I come to you again now with dire situation. She's been to the vet, diagnosed with UTI and got both antibiotics/pain meds, but now 4 days in, still screams bloody murder if I try to get up (to get food, go to bathroom, take shower, etc). I initially got her for my anxiety, and I am now at my wit's end after 5 years of having a wonderful cat.

TL;DR at the bottom, but I put all detail here that is relevant for context. Please, please help. Any advice needed.

• Sex/Neuter status: Female, Spayed
  • Breed: Domestic Shorthair
  • Body weight: 10lbs
  • History:
    • No other pets. Up to date on all shots. FHV (has eye discharge, otherwise no outward symptoms).
    • Usually docile, likes pets on head/shoulders but not back (too sensitive) so I make sure to respect boundaries. Gets good attention and playtime, and I am aware and mindful of redirected aggression, overstimulation, etc and avoid triggers. She is in general a very spoiled and happy cat.
    • I adopted her at ~8weeks from a wonderful rescue and also know the foster mom, all are great. She was spayed and chipped and got all initial shots prior to adoption.
    • She has had 3 episodes where she saw a cat outside (stray male, unaltered) and got very angry, up to an including hissing/spitting/shrieking. I was able each time to 'bag her' (toss a thick blanket over her) and pop her in the bathroom to cool off. She would be fine after, and never turn on me, but I did not try to get in her way as I know redirected aggression is a thing. The LAST EPISODE was 2 years ago, and the previous were at my previous apartment. For the past two years she has been completely fine, and I just put film over the windows to block her view but not the light so she doesn't get stressed.
  • Clinical signs:
    • Before Vet Visit:
      • On 5/14 Friday (5 days ago) in the early evening, she followed me out of my room as I went to refill my water bottle. Upon my attempt to turn around from the sink and return to my room, cat was hunched by the door and growling, staring at me. As I attempted to just walk by (would still have ~4ft distance), Cat shrieked-- as in the sound you hear during a cat fight that sounds like a scream from a horror movie. I was able to make it back to my room by quickly scooting by, but I was extremely shaken as she was absolutely targeting me, and nothing else was around.
      • Nothing has changed-- same food, water, toys, playtime, smells, treatment. I do not ever punish her, I know that even a tap on the nose is a big no. I have had cats ALL my life both as a child and adult, and I have NEVER had an animal do this.
      • She ended up coming to my room and getting in my bed with me, acting totally normal. Accepting pets, purring, etc. I thought that she must have reacted to a smell from outside or something, though I had been home all day (I have worked remote for 2+ years now)
      • I went to go to the bathroom before bed, and she was fine as I left. As soon as I came to enter my room again, she was on the end of the bed and started up again. Now I was trapped out of my bedroom and unsure what to do. I went back into the bathroom and got a towel to keep in front of me as she looked angry enough to attack me, and I was in pajamas at this point, and I was terrified of these noises.
      • I was able to lure her out of the room over time and ended up tossing a paper towel roll to distract her so I could get back into my room and close the door, which she promptly tried to enter but couldn't.
      • Shaken, trapped by a 10lb animal, I tried to sleep. I ended up calling the vet who suggested at first to order Feliway, which I did, but I knew this was severe and not normal, so I set an appointment to drop her off as an emergency.
      • Getting her into her crate involved a blanket and her screaming bloody murder for 20 minutes, and me practically having a heart attack. I got this cat for my anxiety, and the loud noises are a huge trigger for me, but I got her to the vet.
      • Once in her carrier and outside, she was docile as normal. At the vet, she was "such a sweet cat" and gave them no problems. Once she was back in the apartment, she went back to hissing/spitting/screaming at me.
    • Diagnosis: UTI
      • Vet advised that they were able to run urinalysis and see blood in the urine,
      • I was given antibiotics and liquid oral pain medication to give her. She has been taking these with no problem. She is on day 4 of antibiotics and pain medication with no real change to behaviour.
    • Ongoing issue:
      • I can't leave my room. I am currently trapped. If I try to get up, the growling starts. She won't just hide somewhere but seek me out to scream at me. I could understand from pain, but even after taking pain meds, she is only her normal self when she is in bed with me.
      • When she is agitated, I do not try to approach her, but literally any movement will set her off if I am standing. I tested this by flexing my toes at one point and confirmed it. I cannot do anything without her screaming-- NOT MEOWING or anything, I mean a sincere cat-fight scream.
      • This means I can't get up to take a shower, go to the bathroom, make food, etc without her having a whole fit. She has not outright attacked me, but I make sure to always wear jeans and long sleeves and carry a water bottle just in case.
  • Duration: 5 days
  • Your general location: Western USA
TL;DR: Normally docile and friendly cat has turned into a whole demon. I can't get up to go to the bathroom without her screaming like she is being murdered. I can't do anything other than sit on my bed without her freaking out. She has places to hide but won't go to any of them, she wants to be near me. When on my bed she is affectionate and takes her medication without even a hiss-- total angel.
My hope is that the antibiotics just need more time and she will return to her old self, but I am losing my mind. Please give me hope? I also DID buy the Feliway even though I knew I needed to take her to the vet, so in addition to the antibiotics and pain medication, she also has Feliway covering the whole apartment, to no real effect right now.
Note: Pain medication does not make her not freak out from me getting up. Neither do treats, toys, catnip, etc. I am currently just trapped by a 10lb animal that was an angel for the 5 years up to now that I have had her, and I at my wit's end.
Is there anything else I can do? Any advice or thoughts, would be incredibly appreciated because I have no idea what to do at this point.
[Edit: typos, I haven't gotten a full night's sleep in a week]

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats get very scared and upset hen they have been put on a carrier and take to the vet. I suspect every time you move around she is thinking you are going to grab her for another vet visit. You can help her calm down by staying calm yourself, moving slowly around her, staying as far away from her as you can when she is upset and ignoring her screaming. Over time she should settle down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evirae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really hope so. I thought the pain meds would help (they are the oral/sublingual type that kicks in pretty quickly), but even after she was super-chilled from having taken those, getting up to go to the bathroom still got her in a frenzy. I basically can't have her on my bed at any point if I think I might be getting up soon so that I don't lock myself out of my room completely.

I know she isn't doing this maliciously or anything like that, but at this point I can't move around my apartment.

I'm praying that it will go away with time, but it's been 5 days of me having to time my bathroom breaks, and I am obviously just shaken from this.