My newest addition.....

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful!! That's the first picture I've ever seen of an adult Chinchilla, I think. How big do they get to be, on average?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Average size is hard to determine, as there is a very wide range of sizes. Average for a pet quality chin is probably 550 grams. Show quality 700-900+. I have two boys that are about 420, one is old, the other is growing. One female who is 450, but she had a horrible bought with giardia, and went down to 295 grams! She's normally 650 or so. Two nice females about 700, one 600. The rest are not done growing. Gus (fiora's boyfriend) is over 700, Fiora is 766, but usually over 800. I have seen chinchillas over 1000 grams. But I don't care for the huge ones.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How cute! My sister-in-law used to raise Chinchilla's many years ago. She had a run of cages for the females and let her male run between the cages. She also had a big cage for her favorite pair, Kango and Roo. She just sold her baby chins to the pet store.

My husband and I got to house sit when she went on vacation, so I used to know how to take care of them - it's been about 12 years ago since I've handled them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alot of people still breed in runs. It's a good way to breed chinchillas, if you don't mind those tiny cages. They really are just so small. I like them being able to have room to jump around.