My New Young Cat Is A Brat!

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two new cats in the house, Luna and Lisi. Luna is about 8 months old and Lisi is about 13 months. I was really concerned that my cats were not getting along when actually they were getting along and they were using fights and chases as a way to play and “figure it out” in their new home. This was especially true with Luna being the younger more energetic cat. But turns out that Luna is truly a brat!

Last night, as I watched TV, Luna was on the ottoman at my feet, and Lisi was sitting me. Uh, oh, Luna walked over to Lisi, what was going to happen? I was so surprised that Luna got up to GROOM Lisi. Yes, Luna was giving Lisi a tongue bath and Lisi loved it. But then lightning struck! Luna decided that she wanted to bite Lisi - hard! Lisi was so surprised! She got up to swat the hell out of Luna and growl with disapproval. This argument lasted about 30 seconds and then both cats collapsed next to me about 6 inches apart. Luna is a brat! I think Lisi knows it. For a young cat herself, Lisi is showing a lot of patience with Luna.

Do you think that Lisi is going get tired of Luna’s brattiness and turn on her?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Luna is a brat! I think Lisi knows it.
Yes, Luna is an obnoxious teen and Lisi is a young adult who sounds to have patience. Most of my adults were very patient with kittens until they were about your Lisi's age and then treated them as equals and didn't hold back in play sessions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. They will work it out, given what you just described. Cats are not being brats, cats are being cats! This is especially true when they are younger and have some growing up to do. And, some grow up faster than others. Although, I also call a stray young cat in my neighborhood a brat - so I know what you mean!

Sounds like Lisi will put Luna in her place - Luna will 'get it' sooner or later. If not, and this behavior continues to escalate instead of improve, you might need to pick Luna up, say 'No' to her, or hiss at her, and then put her in another room for a 2-3 minute time out. I would wait awhile to see if they work it out on their own before you do, though.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very common for grooming session to change into play=fight session, my cats used to do this pretty often for a long time, it still happens from time to time. Luna is not a brat, she is a cat as already stated, and a younger one who needs to play a lot. If I were you, I would try observing them without the filter of our human behavior- it takes practice but it’s possible. Also, I wouldn’t actually interfere at all when they do it, just observe and wait, generally I would interfere only if the blood is running :D (not directly though). They are figuring out their relationship in their own language and they are doing more than ok.
Edited to add: I think their personalities vary a bit (maybe because of Lisi’s age she is not that playful, or maybe she is still being careful with Luna) that’s why you’re observing Luna’s unsuccessful attempts to play with Lisi. But this is not Luna’s being a brat :) How long do you have them both?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is very common for grooming session to change into play=fight session, my cats used to do this pretty often for a long time, it still happens from time to time. Luna is not a brat, she is a cat as already stated, and a younger one who needs to play a lot. If I were you, I would try observing them without the filter of our human behavior- it takes practice but it’s possible. Also, I wouldn’t actually interfere at all when they do it, just observe and wait, generally I would interfere only if the blood is running :D (not directly though). They are figuring out their relationship in their own language and they are doing more than ok.
Edited to add: I think their personalities vary a bit (maybe because of Lisi’s age she is not that playful, or maybe she is still being careful with Luna) that’s why you’re observing Luna’s unsuccessful attempts to play with Lisi. But this is not Luna’s being a brat :) How long do you have them both?
Thank you for this advice! I have had 13-month old Lisi now for about a month, and 8-month old Luna for little more thank 2 weeks. I should say that I’m calling Luna a brat because I see the bratty behavior, but I am also attributing it to her youth. Luna is an extremely trusting and loving kitty who obviously had a very different kittenhood than Lisi. Lisi comes from a hoarders situation with 13 other cats. All cats were euthanized except for Lisi and 2 others.

Lisi has trust issues! I cannot ever show her 2 hands or off she goes! But Lisi is so friendly, so sweet, and loves human attention. She keeps coming back. We nicknamed her boomerang. So, Lisi naturally is more skittish and more suspicious of any activity than trusting Luna.

So there may be differences in the play that Luna and Lisi like to engage in. Luna right now likes to stalk, pounce and fight. Lisi is not into her being pounced on (she never pounces back) but then, just like with us, she keeps coming back for more of lunacy from Luna! Crazy.

Yes, my two cats are learning about each other, but I think they are getting along. I think it is all good. When I saw the grooming yesterday, I thought, “omg, are these 2 going to bond?” But then, the bite! HA! That was such a bratty move.

I really appreciate this site and gaining insight from so many experienced cat owners. I’m experienced myself. Yes, I have had two cats and a dog in my life for years (all passed away)! But I now realize that I am not experienced with 2 new young kitten/cats.

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, Luna is an obnoxious teen and Lisi is a young adult who sounds to have patience. Most of my adults were very patient with kittens until they were about your Lisi's age and then treated them as equals and didn't hold back in play sessions.
Yes, this is exactly it. Luna is an obnoxious teen! I think Luna will grow out of it.

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. They will work it out, given what you just described. Cats are not being brats, cats are being cats! This is especially true when they are younger and have some growing up to do. And, some grow up faster than others. Although, I also call a stray young cat in my neighborhood a brat - so I know what you mean!

Sounds like Lisi will put Luna in her place - Luna will 'get it' sooner or later. If not, and this behavior continues to escalate instead of improve, you might need to pick Luna up, say 'No' to her, or hiss at her, and then put her in another room for a 2-3 minute time out. I would wait awhile to see if they work it out on their own before you do, though.
I agree with you. I think I am resolving to let them work it out without my intervention. Lisi seems to be finding ways to defend herself and find positions of safety. And I now think she is beginning to enjoy it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't realize Luna has only been with you for just over 2 weeks. They are getting along very well considering the short time frame. Luna may likely be trying to take the dominate position in the house and that is what you are terming as being bratty. There generally is always a pecking order developed as cats who are new to each other figure out where they fit.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this advice! I have had 13-month old Lisi now for about a month, and 8-month old Luna for little more thank 2 weeks. I should say that I’m calling Luna a brat because I see the bratty behavior, but I am also attributing it to her youth. Luna is an extremely trusting and loving kitty who obviously had a very different kittenhood than Lisi. Lisi comes from a hoarders situation with 13 other cats. All cats were euthanized except for Lisi and 2 others.

Lisi has trust issues! I cannot ever show her 2 hands or off she goes! But Lisi is so friendly, so sweet, and loves human attention. She keeps coming back. We nicknamed her boomerang. So, Lisi naturally is more skittish and more suspicious of any activity than trusting Luna.

So there may be differences in the play that Luna and Lisi like to engage in. Luna right now likes to stalk, pounce and fight. Lisi is not into her being pounced on (she never pounces back) but then, just like with us, she keeps coming back for more of lunacy from Luna! Crazy.

Yes, my two cats are learning about each other, but I think they are getting along. I think it is all good. When I saw the grooming yesterday, I thought, “omg, are these 2 going to bond?” But then, the bite! HA! That was such a bratty move.

I really appreciate this site and gaining insight from so many experienced cat owners. I’m experienced myself. Yes, I have had two cats and a dog in my life for years (all passed away)! But I now realize that I am not experienced with 2 new young kitten/cats.
Omg 2 weeks is nothing and it seems they already get on extremely well given they know each other for such a short time! The fact that Luna bite Lisi after grooming doesn’t mean they are not bonding, she just wanted to play. They will understand each other’s language and needs better and better.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is 4 years old and I think he has finally grown out of grooming sessions turning into a bite. Sometimes it still happens, I think but not every single time like before. He just really loves to play and doesn't have kitty manners. I'm really thankful that my other boy is so calm and patient. But yes it doesn't mean they're not getting along. For 2 weeks, your cats are getting along great.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Lisi would not be grooming her if she didn’t like her and as other have said trying to turn a grooming session into a play session is a very normal and common cat behavior. So you just need to relax and let Lisi direct the relationship and trust that she will discipline Luna when she feels it is necessary.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha. My 8 year old cat does that on occasion. :lol: Honestly, nothing you've said makes me worried at all. If they laid down close to each other then it wasn't really an issue and it's entirely possible that the whole thing was play. Or it was them communicating which is good too.