My New Rescue Has Diahrea.

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, I found a forever home for my last rescue and now rescued an adult extra friendly female about 2 days ago. It was very windy,cold and raining and she desperately wanted to come in. She adjusted well in my saferoom,eats like every meal is her last and used the litter box quickly. I've noticed that her poop is mushy,not liquid. She's drinking water very well,eating,playing and napping. Her butt is a little red from the diarrhea,she let me clean it. I can't get her to the vet until tues or thurs. What should I do? I've boiled chicken breast she drank the broth. I've cut back on hard food and only give her turkey/chicken gravy lovers. I inspected the mush poop and didn't see blood or worms. She's going about 2-3xs in a 24hr period,No accidents outside the box. No crying when she pees or poop. Could it be something she ate while being outside? It does have a stinky poop odor after she goes. I've kept my 3 residents away until I get her tested. It's getting harder to find homes for these fur babies, I foster on my own out of pocket. I'm working full time with 3 kids,a husband and a household to take care of,sometimes I feel overwhelmed, I was supposed to take a break after my last rescue left 3 weeks ago but she just showed up at my door. They must know what house to come too.any advice would help with the diahrea and some encouragement to keep helping these beautiful fur lives that deserve it. This is her!
20181129_194325.jpg

Attachments

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two natural remedies I know of are plain pumpkin (you buy in a can, make sure nothing is added) and plain, unflavored yogurt. There is also powdered probiotics you can add to their food. But she probably has worms or parasites and you have to give them medicine for that. So the natural remedies may not make a difference. You may be able to order the pills online, but it would probably be faster to take her to the vet next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The two natural remedies I know of are plain pumpkin (you buy in a can, make sure nothing is added) and plain, unflavored yogurt. There is also powdered probiotics you can add to their food. But she probably has worms or parasites and you have to give them medicine for that. So the natural remedies may not make a difference. You may be able to order the pills online, but it would probably be faster to take her to the vet next week.
Thanks, the broth was to help keep her hydrated, I am def taking her to the vet next week. Should I still keep the dry food away? Or give her wet+dry?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I'm not really an expert. I just have experience with diarrhea in kittens. Give her as much wet food as she wants. The water in it will keep her hydrated. In kittens with diarrhea we put a little pediatric in their water to add electrolytes.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I know the feeling of needing a break but they do seem to find us! I think your are great!
She looks so sweet. I am guessing it’s worms or other parasites as well. You won’t always see them. It’s also true she may have eaten something outside. I always give me kitties an option of some dry food and wet food. They have a way of knowing what they need a lot of times. As long as she stays hydrated!
I found a new dry food by Rachel Ray that has Pumpkin in it and probiotics. If nothing else is available until you get her to the vet you could try that. The pedialyte surya surya suggested is a good idea for hydration problems. Hopefully she is drinking okay. Just get her to the vet as soon as you can. That is always the best option. Please post and keep us updated on her. @Lil Dude You might want to give her some tips on this. Especially the red butt.
Love the pictures of her! I’m glad you posted here. Good luck and welcome! :rock:

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I think offer her dry food. Just make sure it has no food coloring, etc. Maybe try the Purina cat chow Gentle formula? Or you could go for a higher end dry food.

You could also try deworming. . here is one for roundworms:
And one for tapeworms:
You could also try this gel:
And probiotics (here are a few options):

Last edited: