My new kitten won't eat/drink/use litterbox

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a new kitten on 3/8/14, she's about 4 1/2 months old. I brought her home around 1pm and she has not eaten anything since. She may have drank some water when I am not around, but she also has not used the litterbox. She is living in my bathroom (I have an older cat) and all she does is hide in the carrier, even when I'm not there. If i get her out she loves to cuddle in my lap, but will not eat. I know this is normal at first, but should I be getting worried that it's been 30+ hours since she last ate anything?

*She was eating dry kibble before, but I have tried to get her to eat both wet and dry food and she's not been interested in either!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, this is fairly normal for a scaredy type cat to do, the smells/sights/sounds are overwhelming at first.

However, kittens are small and have little in the way of resources as adults do, so I would be thinking it's time to try enticing with goodies :)

Chicken baby food is ALWAYS  a big hit, irresistable. Dilute it down a bit with water and put it in a shallow dish, zap it for a very short time to make it nice and warm, which makes it more smelly too,  and leave in the bathroom.

Chances are he will def. eat it.

It will also help make friends and get acquainted, that you gave him something special, and he will remember this.

Soon enough he will be fine surely, but holding out food for too long can spell trouble for a 4 1/2 month old little one.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today when I got home from work she had eaten quite a bit of her dry food! So hopefully that means she drank as well. She still doesn't appear to have used the litterbox though!

midnight pet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's just starting to eat there may not be anything to, uh, leave in the litter box.

midnight pet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Today when I got home from work she had eaten quite a bit of her dry food! So hopefully that means she drank as well. She still doesn't appear to have used the litterbox though!
PS

I'm glad she's finally eating!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Izzy did start eating and using the bathroom fine! She just went in for a spay yesterday!

New Question: When I pick Izzy up from the vet tomorrow I will face a new challenge, she will be loose in the house with Zoey for the first time.

How do you go about feeding cats who eat different foods? Izzy is still on kitten food and Zoey who is 14 mons is of course not. I thought about giving her kitten food too, but it made her really gassy.