My new kitten has bad diarrhea :(

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kupo was found under a car in my mother in law's driveway. So far he has had no shots, no vet visit at all. I have no idea what he has been eating but I gave him Wellness kitten formula canned food. I got him this Saturday and he has had diarrhea all the time since then. It is soo bad :( He poops like 3-4 times a day, and is constantly covered in poop. 

I have a vet appointment today at 5 pm but any tips would be appreciated. Could it be worms? The food? A combination of the two? I had to put him in the bathroom today with his litter box, water and food because I can't have him tracking poop all over the carpet. The entire house smelled like it yesterday when his litter box was in the hallway where Jake's is.  He has been meowing non stop, he has to be like 6 or  7 weeks old so he cries when he's alone. Every time he cries its like a stab in my heart lol.

He is eating like he's never seen food before, he eats like 4 of the small cans per day, and on top of that is eating Jake's food. I just can't wait to see the vet because I feel like I'm failing him right now!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
You are definitely NOT failing him. @ut0pia .  Bless your heart, you are saving him.

How did the Vet visit go?

Kupo is such a young kitten, and diarrhea in a kitten so young can lead to quick dehydration, so it's excellent that you took him to your vet.

It could be any of the things you mentioned, worms, allergy to new food, virus, parasites from drinking water outside,...so taking him in, will help your vet determine his health status.

An advisor, here, mentioned doing a PCR fecal test, in case a normal fecal test shows up negative, ...I am just not sure how it is run in kittens.

Probiotics and pure pumpkin, boiled chicken, or pedialyte might help...but I would ask the vet...just to make sure on how much to give.

Some even mentioned chicken baby food, without onions or garlic.

Is Kupo's poop a normal brownish colour, or is it yellow or green? Poor little guy was probably starving outside.

I hope his system gets better, after the vet visit, and gets well fast.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words :heart4:
The vet visit went well! He got his shots, and they found no worms, so he received an antibiotic to help his tummy. I gave him the first dose last night, and woke up and saw tootsie roll poops!!! I am sooo happy he is on the mend! I am honestly not sure if the antibiotic worked so incredibly fast, or if his tummy got used to the new food....My husband says i should keep giving it to him, but I am not sure if I should if it's not necessary???

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet visit went well! He got his shots, and they found no worms, so he received an antibiotic to help his tummy. I gave him the first dose last night, and woke up and saw tootsie roll poops!!! I am sooo happy he is on the mend! I am honestly not sure if the antibiotic worked so incredibly fast, or if his tummy got used to the new food....My husband says i should keep giving it to him, but I am not sure if I should if it's not necessary???
I would not stop the antibiotic without checking with your vet first. Your vet should not have an issue with you calling them to ask questions. If this were my cat I would call and let them know about the tootsie roll poops. Then you can just ask if they want you to continue with the antibiotics.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not stop the antibiotic without checking with your vet first. Your vet should not have an issue with you calling them to ask questions. If this were my cat I would call and let them know about the tootsie roll poops. Then you can just ask if they want you to continue with the antibiotics.
Totally agree with @catlover73. Call your vet first, before stopping any antibiotics.

(Last year, a kitten we found, about the same age as Kupo, got an eye infection and yellow poop...was given an antibiotic eye drop, and it worked extremely fast, as well.
But my vet told me to continue the eye drops for the entire course of treatment...cannot remember if it was 7 or 10 days total.)

Excellent update for Kupo. He's so lucky to have been found under that car, and chose your mother in law's driveway. :paw: