my new kitten fetches after only a week here!

melalpha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took on a 5 month old male last week. He adjusted quickly, to my cat and home. Yesterday and today, he actually fetched a few times, so this isn't a fluke. He already doesn't mind a harness and leash either.

I must have really lucked out, or I must emit some positive cat vibes or something. Anyone have a kitten/cat that just fit in so much so quickly?

I also suspect he understands "are you hungry" because he prances when I ask, 3 times today.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kudos to your older cat for being so friendly and accepting of a new kitten so quickly.

Fetching must be fun - mine chase and "kill" but won't fetch back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melalpha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Bobo, my older cat grew up with a bunch of different cats that I took in - fostering and rescues, so he's very used to new cats. He especially likes babies, kids, and kittens. The softy.

I guess slash is smart and sociable. Here's to hoping this keeps up. :) I want to teach him an unusual trick, any suggestions?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine fetch, it's fun and a good way to burn off some energy for them.

You might want to look into clicker training him. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Bobo, my older cat grew up with a bunch of different cats that I took in - fostering and rescues, so he's very used to new cats. He especially likes babies, kids, and kittens. The softy.
I guess slash is smart and sociable. Here's to hoping this keeps up.
I want to teach him an unusual trick, any suggestions?
Does he like agility stuff? You could teach him to jump through a hoop or walk across a broomstick, or to climb onto your shoulder and perch there. Tiny taught me to play leapfrog--I pick him up, stoop down, and he jumps up and over my shoulder, then stands in front of me to be picked up again! Silly cat.

Oh, if he likes to fetch, you could try to teach him to fetch a specific object, for example to fetch the toy mouse for one signal and to fetch the ball for another signal. Dogs can learn that, so maybe your cat can, too. Or if he likes to smack things with his paws, you could buy him baby toys where things make noise when you hit them, like a toy piano for example. If they're safe for babies, they're usually quite safe for cats too.

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luck you. I had one cat that used to fetch long ago. that was fun.

My current kitty stalks and "kills" things, then I have to go and resurrect it and bring it back to life for him again so he can go and kill it again.

hee hee.

Some toys he may love

Da Bird 

hiding toy mice under craft paper or some sort of crinkly paper like bubblewrap....

soap bubbles (I hear they make some with catnip scent too)

also I got my guy this the other day and he goes absolutely NUTS over it. 

melalpha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agility stuff? That's a great idea! He is rather athletic, I'll try that with him. People's minds will be so blown if they see a cat jumping hoops! Haha. Not sure if I can get him to fetch other toys, he only does it with one thing in specific, out of 30 toys! Haha

I had no idea what clicker training was til I Googled it! I guess I already do that with my cats, I make loud clicking noises with my mouth when they do something they shouldn't.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>
I had no idea what clicker training was til I Googled it! I guess I already do that with my cats, I make loud clicking noises with my mouth when they do something they shouldn't.
Clicker training is the reverse - the clicker is clicked when the animal does the desired behaviour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clicker_training
The clicker is used during the acquisition phase of training a new behavior, to allow the animal to rapidly identify that a behavior is sought and also the precise behavior of interest.

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fetching is fun! My older cat fetches, but I never trained him...he just does it. My kitten, however, she just prefers to pounce and kill the toys.

Here is a video of Louis (my older one) playing fetch!

melalpha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha, aw, that's a handsome guy you've got there. I didn't train him, per se, he just did it. I didn't realize until the fourth throw that he was actually fetching. :)

I'll try the clicker training on the younger cat. Bobo is no good for anything but sitting, walking, and cuddles. Can't even listen to "no." Typical cat!