My new cat is afraid to jump

tamfromtn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I adopted Molly almost 2 weeks ago. They were not sure of her age, I'm guessing about a year. They (the pound) said she came from a hoarder. She is a beautiful cat, looks like pursian&simease. She is the most loving cat I have ever seen. It's like she gives hugs. She puts her front paws on my chest and snuggles her head in my neck. So cute...She as some strange behavour, she is afraid to jump (like on to my lap)sometimes she dosent make her jump and will fall to the ground, not landing on her feet like other cats. She is very clumsy and has broken several things. Another thing is one day she will be loving then the next day she's afraidof you. She acts like that toward others not me. I wonder if this is because of her previous home or it's just her?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
sounds like its the way she was living in the hoarder's home. She might not have a lot of space to practice running and jumping. Give her time, she'll get the hang of it, I'm sure!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in hoarding conditions is most likely attributing to her behaviors. Depending how she lived, as Draco said, maybe she didn't have space to jump. Maybe she was crated or confined to a small space within the home. It's hard to say.
Her fear of other people is likely another result of living like that. Hoarders tend to keep to themselves and not have a lot of people to their home. Maybe she just never had a lot of socialization with people.

Just be kind and patient with her and don't try to force people on her. This is all new to her. Once she is settled in and used to other people, she may come around. Or she may always be nervous of people. You'll know in time.

Bless your heart for taking her in and giving her a second chance.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing this little
! It sounds like she so wants to trust and except all of this new love, but she simply has trust issues. Honestly it really doesn't matter why she is like this rather then how you can help her become more comfortable with her new home. I hate to say this but shelters are not always honest about previous living history and/or health/vaccines/injuries....

It is very important that you bring her to your local vet for a checkup and explain to them any and all concerns you may have. I would be concerned if she isn't able to make a jump to your lap, and doesn't fall on her feet. As far as breaking things from her clumsiness, I would simply clear off areas where this is possible, simply don't set her up to fail, of fall

The most important thing is to get a clean bill of health from your vet.....