My New Buddy Sarge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question, and another reason I had forgot about why I let Sarge go back outside.

I still don't know if Sarge is a male or female. What if Sarge is female and has kittens somewhere that need to be tended to? Sarge is long haired so I haven't been able to get a real perspective on...certain things. (Don't wanna get smacked again!) It would be selfish and deadly of me to close Sarge in the house if Sarge has a litter of babies out there somewhere she is going to after her runs.

Like I say I still don't know, I just say "he" all the time because I'm a "he."

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I think you would have seen the kittens by now, right? You could try to follow him/her and see.

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know Sarge comes from the barn on the south side of my house (after dark.) Ive searched the barn in the day and found nothing but idk where Sarge goes when he leaves cause its around 11-12 pm but i know he heads west.

After i touched him he didnt show up for a couple days but he's here now, staring at me going back and forth from my office then outside then back to the office then staring at me some more. He seems more comfortable now despite him previously freaking out and his gap of absence.

I looked back at my pictures and one of my first pics was November 24th 2017. Pretty sure the kittens would have wandered off by now if that was the case.

I think im going to let him do his thing tonight and head back out, but tomorrow i will sneak to the back door again and latch it. I just keep imagining a litter of kittens waiting on mommy to get back, but she wont cause I locked her in my house.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you own the barn that he goes to? Yeah, just look around and if you don't see any kittens, I think it's okay. If they are old enough to walk, they probably would have come with him/her. Besides, he might be a boy!

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I was able to sneak to the back door again and Sarge is now trapped in the house. He is MORE than set up with piles of food all over the place, water, treats, toys and a deep litter box that is 75% potting soil 25% litter.

I knew he was hiding behind the blanket I've had tacked across the back door. I was about ready for bed so I went to carefully take it down and he was not there. I don't know how he got past me but I've snuck all over the house and can't find him. I think he's inside my couch again but I don't want to disturb him if he is. He didn't disappear, he's here somewhere. It's ON now and whatever happens is what it is cause I don't want him to have to deal with the sh!t he has to deal with out there. The cold, hunger, coyotes, pissed off homeowners when he gets in their trash.

I'm just going to go about my life casually, day to day as I normally do. Hopefully he will stay calm, get comfortable and God willing use the litterbox!

It's a roller coaster now! Thanks for all the advice! I will keep you updated.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I was able to sneak to the back door again and Sarge is now trapped in the house. He is MORE than set up with piles of food all over the place, water, treats, toys and a deep litter box that is 75% potting soil 25% litter.

I knew he was hiding behind the blanket I've had tacked across the back door. I was about ready for bed so I went to carefully take it down and he was not there. I don't know how he got past me but I've snuck all over the house and can't find him. I think he's inside my couch again but I don't want to disturb him if he is. He didn't disappear, he's here somewhere. It's ON now and whatever happens is what it is cause I don't want him to have to deal with the sh!t he has to deal with out there. The cold, hunger, coyotes, pissed off homeowners when he gets in their trash.

I'm just going to go about my life casually, day to day as I normally do. Hopefully he will stay calm, get comfortable and God willing use the litterbox!

It's a roller coaster now! Thanks for all the advice! I will keep you updated.
:clap::salam::dance::clap2::bliss:

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been inside my couch all day. No sign of pees or poops. Funny when the backdoor was left open he strolled all over the place, took naps in my sight. Now hes tucked in the couch and staring off into space.

How much time do I give him? He's bound to get hungry thirsty or have to potty

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the couch all night and all day.

Is there a way to edit a post in here?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did he get inside the couch? Did he make a hole in it? I hope he's not peeing in there. Can you tempt him out with some food? Can you reach him to pet him with a backscratcher or something on a long handle? We need to think of some way to get him to come out.

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No he didn't tear it up and I don't smell pee or poop.

It has flaps on the back that velcro to the bottom to hide the mechanics and he slid between that flap, up on the seat but behind the cushion for your back. I can coax him out but hes likely to go right back in there at some point.

This is what happened last time. I eased the couch over on its face and gently poked him til he came out and ran back outside. Last thing I wanted to do is make him feel hunted but how long is he likely to stay there?

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had treats and a bowl of water in front of the couch all day in his sight. He didn't touch it.

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got him out of the couch and stuffed blankets all around the bottom so he cant get back in there. I also stuffed things around the bottom of my bed so he cant get stuck in there. My house is very small, I'm not leaving him very many hiding holes but his door to the office which has his food water and litter box is wide open to him.

Right now he is hiding up against the wall, behind the kayak that YES is sitting in my living room and in the picture I posted in my 1st posting.

That's fine, he can't hurt himself there but I'm not feeling like he is going to come out casually on his own, yet I don't want to be chasing him all over the place and I know he has to use the bathroom at this point.

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 litter boxes, 1 empty but 1 filled 75% potting soil 25% litter. The filled one is in the office beside the bowl he has always eaten out of. I could coax him into the office but he would just hide in there, he's not in the mood to eat right now with food right in his face behind the kayak. Yes im calmly talking to him constantly. Even talking to myself about randomness so he knows where i am and im not a threat

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 litter boxes, 1 empty but 1 filled 75% potting soil 25% litter. The filled one is in the office beside the bowl he has always eaten out of. I could coax him into the office but he would just hide in there, he's not in the mood to eat right now with food right in his face behind the kayak. Yes im calmly talking to him constantly. Even talking to myself about randomness so he knows where i am and im not a threat
Soft talking's good. Cats don't go to the bathroom near their food, try moving it away from where he ate maybe somewhere kinda out of sight. I'd fill the 2nd on with litter only and also put it sorta private.. I read they also don't like their water near their food, try placing multiple water sources around the place away from food. Maybe go into another room and ignore him for awhile? Let him hide in the office if he wants

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, i will move his litterbox. Ive never heard that before about food near the litterbox.

I was debating on setting up the shallow 2nd box and since im out of potting soil ill have to fill it with litter.

Aside from that he has piles of food all over the place and 2 plastic containers with water. I will set out a random 3rd water bowl.

Ive quit talking for a little bit and just watching tv on low volume. He has food and water right in his face. Im also thawing some precooked shrimp and will try later to appease him with that

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, i will move his litterbox. Ive never heard that before about food near the litterbox.

I was debating on setting up the shallow 2nd box and since im out of potting soil ill have to fill it with litter.

Aside from that he has piles of food all over the place and 2 plastic containers with water. I will set out a random 3rd water bowl.

Ive quit talking for a little bit and just watching tv on low volume. He has food and water right in his face. Im also thawing some precooked shrimp and will try later to appease him with that

I read about it here on TCS, check it out
Litter Box Location Secrets
Nov 1, 2011 · Updated Jul 21, 2016 · 60.3K · 20
Tags: litterbox care

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe set one litterbox near him where he can see it. I'm glad you got him out of the couch. Hopefully you can try petting him with something on a long handle, then he would know that you can touch him without hurting him.

Eddy Burgetti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's still behind the kayak which is good. He can see me but he still feels safe and he can't harm himself. I can actually pet him with my bare hands. I hovered some tiny pieces of shrimp in front of him then dropped them. I think he ate those.

I didn't want to use flash photography but here it is as it happens

Attachments