My New Big Grey Boy

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm adopting this huge grey loving boy. I get to pick him up monday!!! They said he is chartreux and that's what all his vet papers say, but I've never seen such a big muscular cat be defined as that; I'm used to seeing shorter cats in that breed, and I've not seen very many of that breed ever. I know that breed has some health issues to watch out for as well .... I'm thinking he is a mix of some sort, but I was curious what you all thought. I'm just curious what he actually is since that's what they are calling him. He could be a mix of anything and I wouldn't care, because he's the sweetest kitty ever.

He is huge; if I pick him up, his shoulders are at mine and his hind end at my hips, and I'm 5'6". His eyes are more golden in person, very muscular, weighs alot but seems to be a bit underweight for his huge frame, angular face, smart (knew how to work the door handle in the visitation room lol), and loves petting, playful but calm, doesn't seem to meow only silent meows, and he has a cute big nose :p, and he seems to like all four paws on the ground. He has one of the best personalities I've seen in a cat. He's 4 years old but acts much younger. I'm so excited to bring him home Monday. I think I might name him Binx or Rory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and he's all grey ... he's dirty because he was sleeping in his litterbox. Poor boy. Can hardly wait to bring him home. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do have experience with chartreux?  Wow, that is a not so common breed, so where and how did you had it?

Chartreux are rather big and muscular, so although he is no typical chartreux, I presume  a guess on chartreux is no worse than any other, if you want to put a breed label on him...

Good luck!

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend in college had two, very sweet smart cats. I've only seen mixes other than those two she paid a small fortune for. Her's were muscular, but shorter legs and less angular face.  I happy with whatever he is, I dont care about breeds at all. I know both of her cats had some rough health issues, so honestly ... I'd prefer he be a mix of something lol.

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a side view of him. I'm way to excited to bring him home. I wish they would have let me take him with me today.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous!!  (I'm a sucker for grey cats as I have 2 Korats)

Wishing you lots of excitement and joy!!

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I'm looking forward to babying him. He was petting himself on my hand when I wasn't paying enough attention. I love love love grey kitties. I had a half russian blue mixed with tabby; she looked just like her russian blue mama, but she was itty bitty. My ex hubby kept all our cats though. They were too bonded to each other to even consider separating them. I get visitation though.  .... so I'm happy to be getting my own grey kitty.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, he is gorgeous going by your photos, but yes if Chartreux he would be very underweight as they are usually pretty muscular.   At his current weight he is more like a slim Russian Blue without the eye colour (and fine muscle definition) and his paws are not what I'd call small and oval. 
    I am sure once he finds himself in a loving furever home he will blossom and you will see his true physique start to shine.  I wonder if he has pedigree papers as well as vet papers at the centre as they are very rare, but sometimes even rare pedigrees can find themselvds homeless as a result of poor human care or death of a carer thought usually breeder papers would indicate the cat be returned to the breeder in such instances.

What ever he turns out to be you are right, he is a very fine and beautiful cat.  Of course, like others posting here I am a little biased having a Russian Blue boy as a companion. 
   I remember all too well how long it feels when you are waiting for that collection on the day of adoption so I wish you well, and hope he settles quickly and happily in to your home.

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) your cat is gorgeous btw! I just got him some good food; hopefully he'll gain some weight. When you hold him he feels kinda boney around the ribs. He was surrendered at 2 years old and sponsored to be adopted. Then he was adopted, then .... they found him abandoned outside just under two years later. I dont know how long he was outside not getting proper food. I'm just glad I get to give him a home. Tomorrow I find out what papers are included in his file, probably just vet papers. He's such a big loveable oaf. I hope he likes all the toys, food and treats I got him. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a hard life for such a beautiful cat!  He LOOKS so friendly and expressive, and interested in everything going on around him.  I hope he settles quickly in to a furever home with you and his life now becomes a more comfortable one where he can trust the humans around him.  Can't wait to hear how you get on when you bring him home. 

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I just got him home, he's enjoying a catnip mouse at the moment. I got a cute video of him, I'll upload it if I can figure out how to. I'm going to give him a few days to settle in, but he needs a bath lol. His name is Sir Binx Fluffykins now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  Sir Binx Fluffykins doesn't look too traumatised by the move, and what with the posh, colour coordinated toy mouse and aparent ownership of the bed assumed already I think all looks well. 
  I'll be senging nice vibes your way that he fancies a little bit of human snuggling later on so he will let you share his bed. 

Congratulations on bringing home your new furfamily, hope you have many happy years together.

Last edited:

musicality

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ... he is loving my comforter and his catnip mouse. That little mouse was worth the $3 already. Even when I'm at the computer he's over there snuggling and wrestling with it. I laid down in the bed and he came over and laid right next to me.  He seems to be pretty happy so far. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds great for a new home, esp when he has been through so much.  Very happy for you.  Make sure you keep up with TCS telling us all your latest cat tales as you get to know each other.