My neutered cat is still having "urges"

cjschiesher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I recently adopted a pair of adult cats from an acqaintance who needed to get rid of them - one male (3) and one female (2). They started out great - the male has always been "curious" and kind of annoying at times - but good cats overall. Recently, I've noticed black clumps of hair (the female is black) on the carpet. And then noticed that a section above her hip was so tender she would not let me touch it. Come to discover, the male has been biting her there when he has his "urges". He is neutered and she is spayed, so I am very confused! These are my first cats but I never expected this kind of behavior. Does anyone have any tips or explanations they can share to enlighten me? I've been thinking of calling a vet but don't know what can be done about the behavior. These cats have been together for 2 years and I hate to seperate them.

Please help!

alcool9999

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seperation would not be a good idea as he may find other things to bite.(furniture)

anyway you can get chew toys which may stop him bitting her. this is really odd as he has been neutered but its worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjschiesher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not just biting tho. The biting is the beginning of what he thinks it mating. I've never seen him actually successfully do it, but he will manage to pin her down and get behind her, etc. I worry about what he is doing to her when I am not home!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a male cat reaches sexual maturity before being neutered, he may still have urges, but I have only heard of it if he is around a female in heat.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may just be exerting dominance, which is very common, so you may need to work out some way to keep them separate when you're not around, like in separate rooms, with boxes, water, toys, etc. (and be very careful she doesn't have abscesses where he bites - they can get pretty bad and need the vet's attention).

clairebear3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our George used to do this until he was about 3yrs and he was neutered at 6 months. He just seemed to grow out of it after a while at it only ever happened at the beginning of spring time, spring was literally in the air at our house!

We had given him a stuffed puppy toy as a kitten and I guess it's about as big as a 6month old kitten. He used to stalk around it in circles and then well...hump it to death! It was hilarious!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old Wellington does it, and he was neutered at 6 months. He first tried it with my female cats, who mostly whacked him (except for little Biscotte, his special buddy, who tolerated it) and then he started it with cushions, or even with me! I have now managed to redirect him to a stuffed rabbit, that I put under him whenever I saw him start. It sounds gross, but it worked, and now the rabbit and he are an 'item'!