My Neutered Cat Humps My Comforter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any ideas? Should I even bother to stop him? I got him to do it at the foot of the bed ... and he does it 3-5 times a week. He purrs, kneads and dry humps blanket or comforter mounds (and he will make one if need be.) It isn't really a big problem I'm just wondering if any one else has a cat that does it? Should I do anything about it? He is 11 and was neutered young. We adopted him at about 5 months and he was already neutered.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very common, my 16 year old does the same thing. It brings them comfort and feels good. I just ignore it, he only does it when he feels relaxed, so I hope he doesn't embarrass me in front of company, he hasn't yet, not like Casper who insists on sitting right in front of everyone and starts cleaning his behind every time we have company! My husband always laughs and says "Casper has mail!", with his hind leg stuck straight up in the air like a flag!

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen this problem, if it is a problem, with my wife's mother's long hair alley cat, Podge, before we married 57 years ago. It did not seem to trouble him - He was a shelter cat who was castrated as an adult and was adopted because of a domestic mouse problem that he very quickly solved.

His behaviour did not trouble my wife, nor my mother in law who kept Podge when we married and moved out! However it did trouble my to-be step daughter who saw Podge humping her Teddy-Bear and objected to my laughing. (My step-daughter is now 67 and when she saw this post, said that the memory scarred her for life!:evilgrin:)

I agree with di and bob di and bob that it does no harm. I too suggest that your cat should be allowed to get on with it.
Geoffrey

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I was just wondering. He is the only cat I have ever had that has done it. *shrugs*

Cerraigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neutered male humps his cat bed from time to time. I let him. It doesn't botter me, doesn't botter anyone really.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@artiemom says her Artie does this a lot and the vet said to let him enjoy himself. I think so too. It can't do any harm. My neutered Mingo tries to hump my spayed female Lily, but that's a different issue - she hates it and is mortally offended!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since both my cats do this, I did some reading on it. Apparently its normal for neutered cats to do and nothing to worry about.

Arnold does this just about every night. As soon as we turn off the tv to go to bed, he gets up, strolls over to his "girlfriend" a soft fluffy balled up blanket and thoroughly enjoys himself. At first we we quite shocked and thought perhaps he had not been neutered.

Actually he is quite a lover. He usually goes for 10 to 20 minutes, then rolls off and collapses on the floor for a while and then gets back up to do it again. Ive seen him do it 3 times in an hour. Its rather funny. He looks like a big racoon from behind, he purrs like crazy and kneads the blanket and whips it back and forth in his mouth. I wont mention what he does with his hips, you can imagine. Then we throw the blanket in the wash.

Greg also has a similiar procedure, but he loves to gnaw on his electronic mouse while kneads the bed.

Guess no one told them they are neutered.