My Neko Is Definitely A Mixed Cat. But Which Breed(s)?

Ceelyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I've discovered this forum while doing research on the different existing cat breeds, and I've gotta say that this thread got my attention in particular. It's so interesting to see what your beautiful cats and trying to figure out what mix of breeds they could be.

Let me now introduce you Neko!

He's a fierce 13 months-old cat. I rescued him off the woods while he was about a month old because he had become an orphan, along with his sister (who I'll talk about in another post). Poor kittens, their mom got run over by my boyfriend's parents' neighbor, and they therefore had to fend for themselves for maybe several days.

From Day 1, I've always been crazy about Neko's looks. While I'm sure he's a moggy, he definitely does not look like any tabby moggy I have ever encountered.

Description of Neko :

- Facial traits: He has a triangular head, super large & big ears (that's basically what people remark the most upon seeing him for the first time), almond-shaped eyes that can be yellow, amber and greenish, and a bit of fluff at the top of his ears.

- Body shape / characteristics: Athletic build with lean, long legs. He's really tall, especially compared to his sister. The way he walks reminds me of a panther (and his back is a bit arched/rounded). Short hair and blotched tabby, with 2 main colors : black & dark brown.

- Personality: He's very vocal (he talks to us whenever he asks for something, is happy to see us so if kind of whistles, he chirps to his preys etc :)), fierce, majestic (and he knows it) and adventurous.

You'll find below photos of my cat, from when he was such a cute kitty to the majestic teenager that he is today.

When he was between 1,5 months and 2 months old (such a cutie with crazy bat ears)

About 6 months old on the left, and 4 months old on the right.

1 year old!

Any guesses on what breed(s) my Neko could be?

People often mistake him for a Bengal because of his coat (blotched tabby). Like me, they find him very exotic-looking. Perhaps my cat has some Siamese (triangle-shaped head and svelte body) and Savannah ancestry(head shape, large ears and lean build) in him?

Thanks guys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is a classic tabby, but there are some unsual air. Both on the head - shoulder shape, and also, coloring and marbles on the hind quarters.

Im not knowleable enough to make an educated quess, but I wouldnt be suprised the least if somebody come and told he isnt no common tabby moggie, him having some serious ancestry.

I mean, the easy answer I myself often use, such a cat has a bengal granddad.
But I suspect there is more, more unusual than this.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
With those big ears, wedge-shaped head, long legs, and lean body, I think there could be some Oriental in him! He’s so handsome! We wouldn’t be able to prove ancestry, without a DNA test, though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Btw, what country are you in? If USA, what part of the USA?

Some combinations are more common here than there.

Also, the name Neko - essentially cat in Japanese - did you gave it by any particular reason?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceelyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a classic tabby, but there are some unsual air. Both on the head - shoulder shape, and also, coloring and marbles on the hind quarters.

Im not knowleable enough to make an educated quess, but I wouldnt be suprised the least if somebody come and told he isnt no common tabby moggie, him having some serious ancestry.

I mean, the easy answer I myself often use, such a cat has a bengal granddad.
But I suspect there is more, more unusual than this.

Btw, what country are you in? If USA, what part of the USA?

Some combinations are more common here than there.

Also, the name Neko - essentially cat in Japanese - did you gave it by any particular reason?
Can you please elaborate more on what is unusual about Neko's shoulder shape and coloring + marbles on the hindquarters? First time someone remarks this :) Although I find his hindquarters to be pretty high.

The mystery thus remains! I guess that unless we take a DNA test, we'll never know for sure, but it's interesting to speculate :)

I'm from France, so I actually highly doubt that there's Savannah blood in him because it's only prevalent in the US, right?

As for his name, I was looking for a short yet original name that people around me would not likely to have. "Neko" popped up in my mind! And the funny thing is that both my siblings have given Japanese names to their cats, which they adopted at the same time too. What a coincidence :)

With those big ears, wedge-shaped head, long legs, and lean body, I think there could be some Oriental in him! He’s so handsome! We wouldn’t be able to prove ancestry, without a DNA test, though.
Oh, Oriental? I can see why you've said so! Oriental ears are so alien-like, and their nose length, oh wow lol. I'm so curious about his ancestry, but you're right, it's just fun speculation until the day he gets the DNA test! And whyyy, thank you for the compliment! Neko does know he is good-looking ;)

He's incredibly gorgeous, Ceelyn Ceelyn

You could upload some of the pictures in Lets See Your Majestic/distinguished Pose!
Thank you for the lovely comment, and for the suggestion! I'm definitely going to post photos of Neko on that thread, because he's such a poser ;)