my mooshie monster is terrible

mamaluvsmoosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am the owner of a very spoiled Bombay mix whom I am at my wits end with . I got her from a woman I found on criagslist 4 years ago. She had to get rid of Mooshie because she bit the woman's other resident cat on his butt cheek then left him with a cyst his owner had to pay 500 dollars for at vet to heal. I took my Mooshie in and gave her all the love and support an owner can give. I always knew from the beginning that she is very jealous and territorial but it has not stopped me from trying to rescue other cats. This last cat I have staying with us and I want to keep her. 

But every chance Mooshie gets she wants to kill the new one. Her behavior will never change and I do not know what to do about it. Can someone please help with any suggestions. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some female cats are extremely territorial and never warm up to newcomers. It sounds like Mooshie may be one of those cats, if her previous owner had to get rid of her due to her violence. Other than keeping them seperated and trying a slow introduction, I don't know what else you could try.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Like rad65 mentioned, some cats never really learn to accept others in their territory, but here's a good article on introducing cats and keeping the peace to get you started

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

...and one I hope you won't need, but from your description of Mooshie's behavior, it might not be bad to know.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

I think your best bet would be to go very slow on introductions. I know we have a few members here with some challenging feline personalities. Hopefully one of them will be along soon with some more advice. Good luck!

annettek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Territorial aggression is normal with any pack thriving animal. Her state of mind is simply reacting to a ''new being'' within her turf, therefore she's thinking she can ''push'' around the other feline if she can't ward them off. Try keeping face to face introductions brief until Mooshie can get used to another cat being within the household; of course keeping all interactions supervised. Reward your cat for good behavior. Believe it or not, you can train your cat like it were a canine. If behavior does not change, you may want to consider getting her spayed, if she's already spayed, still keep up with the interactions, and correct the feline when aggression is happening.