My Mom and I differ on cat discipline

wolflover326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I recently moved back in with my Mom, and I brought my four cats with me. She knew my oldest, Rose, because we lived here when she was younger. I guess Mom assumed my other cats would be as well-behaved as Rose was. She was never a super crazy kitty- she always had a maturity about her. Well, my other three are super hyper and active and very demanding when they want something. I work everyday to teach them manners and to not beg. Mom appreciates this. However, where we differ is she thinks that when they start whining for something, I should tend to them immediately. Lorelei is the most vocal. When she wants a treat, she will tell the whole world about it. Well, I don't give in. Eventually, she will move on to other things, and learn that begging will not get her anything. I usually give them treats when they're all preoccupied with something else. A surprise, if you will. Mom, however, gives in very quickly. I keep telling her she's only teaching her to beg more, but it doesn't seem to matter. 

Where is the compromise here? Is there one? 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The compromise may be in your setting a schedule for the cats, whether it's feeding or treats or when you play with them.  The natural cat cycle is Hunt -- Eat -- Sleep -- Hunt again.....and for the domestic housebound cat, hunting is play time.  You can use the DaBird toy or the laser mouse to get them running around for about 15 minutes or so before each feeding, and then they will not be expecting fod until after they have had a little chase.  You could also have a selected "treats" time which can be mixed in with play, like throwing down treats to reward laser chases.  Mine tend to sleep all afternoon and then get active again before dinner, and then generally they will be quite calm and relaxed in the evening.  I stay up quite late so we all have some attention time, the youngsters chase the laser for a few minutes, and then we have a bedtime snack.  Cats are very receptive to scheduling, so once you get them used to this, they will not be begging at inappropriate times.  Your mom will probably understand, since most moms realize kids need schedules to keep them comfortale and well behaved too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolflover326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could give it a shot... Right now, they're fed at 8am and 8pm. Generally, they play after they get fed in the mornings because I got them into the routine of eating right when I get up. I talked to Mom a little bit ago, and she said Lorelei whines about the same time every day. I think my cat got my Mom on the schedule to give her treats, not the other way around, lol. I'll talk to her, again, though, and she what she thinks about it. Thanks so much!