My Molly is no longer pregnant

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I took Molly to the vet this morning for the 3rd time for an xray. They did it, called me at home, told me that she was no longer carrying any kittens. Nothing showed up in the xray.

I am disappointed but I know that she will get the chance again. She's in heat right now--and it's winter! Being in heat while pregnant doesn't make sense and is one of the big reasons why I wanted this xray.

The vet told me that the other vet who did the u/s said the embryos he saw were smaller than he expected for her gestation so it is possible she wasn't going to carry them to term. This vet is a man, and not a very popular one either. He's not got a very good bedside manner. I just don't get why he didn't tell me they were smaller than he thought they'd be. I most likely won't be using the vet here in town again. I'll drive to the city instead as I've done in the past.

I'm choked that he wouldn't provide me with full details the day of the u/s. Just like a regular doc, only tells what they think you need to know...GRRRR

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susan,
I wish I had been wrong about Molly.
Did you see my post on fb saying I thought she had reabsorbed the kittens?
I am sorry it happened.
You need to try to find out what went wrong before you breed her again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jacky, I'm going to do some research into why it could have happened. I also have my doubts about the vet who did the u/s. From the things I've heard about him, wouldn't surprise me that he lied to get me to come back in for more tests knowing no pregnancy would be found later. I've heard he's like that, it's all about the money for him. It's his clinic too so nobody would ever contest his findings.

At least though, the babies weren't real babies, just embryos that hadn't turned into kittens perse. I would be so sad to have her deliver stillborns.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible if the vet scammed you.
I would change vets.
My Coco did have 2 dead kittens and I cried.
It was terrible.
One had a broken paw and a deformed paw.
The last one looked normal but was dead.
I was told there were going to be 3 kittens by the ultrasound so when her labor stopped after 3 kittens we thought she was done.
12 hours later she pushed twice and the dead ones came out.
My vet wants me to tart breeding.
He said he has no doubt I would do a good job.
I need to learn more though.
Maybe you can come out here one day still.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jacky, my vet said too that she is very impressed with what I know about cats, I used all the right terms LOL. I read so much about cats that it is impossible not to retain the info. I have my whole life behind me with cats, having had kittens around me since I was like 2 yrs old. I know that breeding can be very disappointing at times but extremely rewarding when it all goes well. I know the future will be just fine, this is just a bump in the road.

I'd love to come down there Jacky! My son thinks he is moving to northern Cali in a few months to hang with a rapper dude. This guy has been paying him for music that my son makes electronically. If he does move down there, would only be for the 6 months allowed, but we might visit him if he does.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susan,
There are always bad and good times with breeding.
It is nice watching kittens being born then growing up.
I saw kittens born when I was 12.
It is a funny story.
I put Whiskers in the bath room and my dad said what are you doing.
I said she is preg and having tonight and he goes she better not be preg.
We go out to dinner and come back and Charcoal is already born.
Next came my Patches who I kept and was my cat.
I saw her born and was there when she died.
She was one of my favorite cats and was Bombay/Burmese mix.
Her fur the Bombay texture.
Whiskers was Bombay/Burmese and Bogart was whatever.
He was dumped on our porch when he was a kitten and almost dead.
We saved him but lost him at age 3 to male blockage.
Bombays are another breed I love.
You should feel their coat.
If you come vist california let me know.
Maybe you can meet me at a show.
You should come to the TICA Annual.
I wll be there.
I know so much about cats and kittens just not the purebred side.
I have learned a lot about sphynx since I got Cleo though and will ge a 3rd sphynx.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Molly. I would have more testing done on her to see if she was the one with the problem or something wrong with the male.

One Ocicat breeder gave up on her one female - they tried for a few years to get her pregnant (using different males that has sired kittens) - she never did get pregnant by any of them. So she was spayed.

Sad when you see the hundreds of street cats having kittens all the time and then you have a nice cat that can't get pregnant or carry kittens.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks GK, this is a difficult pill to swallow. I was just saying the same thing to my hubby about how many barn cats etc. can carry full term unvaccinated and poorly fed and still carry full term with healthy babies. I knew going into breeding that there could be disappointments. There is a fine line between going ahead and spaying her. I will allow another breeding to take place and see if it takes.

My boy is still under a year old (couple more weeks till he turns the big 1) so I know it could have been either cat to have the problem. I will see what happens in the future, but I don't want to give up on Molly just yet.

Hubby still feels that the vet lied to me to keep me coming in for tests. Hubby really never believed she was pregnant until the ultrasound. Now we find out that she's "no longer pregnant" and he is not happy with the vet guy.

We might just get that vacation he wanted us to have LOL. We already cancelled the trip but he's been looking on the net for another.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of my girls came from lele. I am doubting that it has anything to do with genetics, I'm really thinking she wasn't even pregnant and the vet lied, like I said earlier. Molly's mother had no difficulties during birth. Hubby is pretty positive that Molly will be successful in the future as will be our other queens. I'm still pretty p.o'd but have resolved to persevere with my breeding. I know this was just a hiccup and I'll get over it eventually. Spring is only 3 months away LOL, and if Molly is in heat right now, it goes to show that even though it's nasty cold outside, they may not stop during the winter.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure you will have kittens in the future just like I will have my sphynx some time next year.
I am hoping to have a new sphynx for the March TICA show.
Is there a way you can see the ultrasound from the vet?
I have seen them and the ittens how up very well in the.
Dump that vet.
He sounds like he only wants to mae a profit.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is a blue and white Van. Gorgeous. LeKitty is solid blue and is Maddie's mom. Another absolutely gorgeous cat. Molly has her mom's head shape. Maddie looks like her mom too, not a solid blue but a blue tortie...mostly blue though, and I think both my girls are precious!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet put her on AB's? That's pretty standard over here in case there was a small infection that caused the pregnancy to fail.

Also, my vet won't x-ray a pregnant cat unless absolutely necessary, prefers to ultrasound if anything. Doesn't like the radiation on preg girls.

That's terrible if your vet lied to you. Can you find a vet that is used to dealing with breeders? I have to drive nearly an hour to mine, but he's got a lot of experience and was highly recommended by other breeders.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Missy, good point about the antibiotics. No, they didn't even mention it. Funny, huh? Now that's another nail in the vet's coffin if you ask me.

There is plenty of vets in the city (5 mins away) and I've used one recently where my friend works as office manager. That vet is great. There is a new one who used to work at the university as the anaestesiologist, and I've spoken with her on the phone about early spay and neuter. She will do them, and is the only one that will. They are way cheaper too, for vaccinations. Instead of 60 bux a kitten per shot, she charges 10 per kitten. She said it's ridiculous how much the vets charge and is the reason people avoid getting them. The same goes for the spays and neuters. She does them at half the cost of a regular vet. I haven't used her for anything else yet, but now I most likely will. My cats need their boosters in April so I know where I'm going