My Mimi went to paradise

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

some of you know my long thread, "IBD or lymphoma" that I created for my little girl, Mimi. Mimi crossed the bridge and went to paradise Monday, 02/01/2016. I wanted to share Mimi's story and remember her rather being sad and fighting with depression. It is a bit of a complicated story but here it goes.

Mimi arrived in my life on a hot summer of 2003 in Greece (that is where I am from). I found her in a field with her little brother, she must have been 1 month old or so. I was worrying they may die because of the heat and snakes! I decided to take Mimi home while we gave her brother to another lady that needed a companion.

Mimi and I shared a lot of adventures, I took her everywhere with me or scheduled my life around her, I spend Christmas and New years eve always with her because she was scared of loud noises and fireworks. I am also from Germany so I moved there for my job some years ago but Mimi always felt comfortable, as long as she had me and her fluffy bed. I spoiled her so much, expensive cat tree houses, nice munchies, toys.. she was my love and best friends. Then my husband and I decided it is time to move to his place (beautiful Seattle). Mimi hated the 15h flight but loved her new place. She loved my husband but did not liked his cat! Her and Merlin always fought and slapped each other but not violently. It was so funny to see them because sometimes she was resting on the couch and he just walked by, Mimi just slapped him in the face without a warning.

Mimi was my first pet and my little love. She was so sweet, beautiful, rare and so polite.. She always gave even people she did not knew, kisses, licked their hands or faces and purr. 

She was first diagnosed with IBD 2 years ago and I was devastated because the vets told me its either IBD or lymphoma. Since then I tried everything, prednisolone, medicines, holistic vets, the best food I could get, and we fought it for 2 years. She started declining after November and loosing a lot of weight. She always was around 8lbs byt the time she passed away she was down to 5lbs....  On Friday Mimi was acting weird and she was more tired that usual. I gave her for the first time pain meds and she was high and relaxed. On Saturday she ate a bunch and I was so happy, then 5 hours after threw up everything and kept throwing up 7-8 times. We went to the vet, she gave a bunch of medicine and IV, still throwing up 7-8 times. Then Vet again then home again.. I stayed up all night watching her, then I feel asleep for 15 minutes, next thing I saw it her lying on the floor panting and being cold. We rushed to the ER, they told us she is dying and couldn't save her. I could wait for her to pass away or make it painless. So I choose for her to stop hurting. She was exhausted the past month. Having diarrhea, syringe eating, a bunch of pills every day. She was miserable but still had the strength to kiss me or cuddle. Even last Saturday before she threw up we played a bit...

It was the most traumatizing and hard thing I ever experienced. I never experienced any death before or lost anyone I love.. My husband and I are in much pain but we have each other and support each other. 

It's so difficult not being able to touch her again or sniff her little fur or kiss her.. I see her everywhere, on her favorite fluffy blankets, her beds, in the closet where she used to curl and sleep because it was cozy.. She greeted me every time I came home from work, much like a dog! She used to announce her moves, every time she jumped on the couch she let a little chirping sound, or when she saw me after she woke up from a long nap. Very vocal baby. She loved birdies and flowers. She loved little flies to change them around or little ribbons.

I broke down so much this week... After we said goodbye on Monday the whole day we were catatonic.. Then Thursday we received a bunch of cards from her vets, then I got her ashes and paw prints on Friday. 

Mimi was an angel, my little girl. We were one. I  miss her every second and think of her all the time. I love you Mimi, I hope you are well wherever you are this cosmos. 

little cutie66

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to say goodbye, I know the pain your feeling. Rest in peace beautiful Mimi...

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your precious loss. I am glad you share your story though, Mimi felt your love and kindness.

She had you for a reason and that was love. Your photo is gorgeous and Mimi was here for a you to love and remember her.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mimi was such a beautiful girl (I have a soft spot or orange girls) I know you tried so many things to make her better. I am so sorry that you lost her. She was lucky to have spent her whole life with a family that adored her and would do anything for her. RIP sweet little girl.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to say good bye to your precious Mimi! What a gorgeous girl! She was lucky to have you as her guardian and I know you feel the same to have known her too!

They take a piece of our hearts when they go and leave paw prints on the rest! [emoji]128149[/emoji] :hugs:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your Mimi. She was a beautiful cat. You did all your could to help her. It was kind for your to help ease her suffering. 

I'm so glad Mimi got a chance to experience your love and have a wonderful home.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Mimi! [emoji]128532[/emoji] Oh, that's awful.

That last picture is so sweet is brought me to tears. Goodness knows you two shared a special bond. [emoji]128575[/emoji][emoji]128575[/emoji][emoji]128575[/emoji][emoji]128575[/emoji] Its useless to say, but it's true: I'm glad she's no longer hurting. At the end of our time, that's like a final gift. Run free, Mimi, far from sickness and where you are always happy and healthy. Keep an eye on your mama, she misses you. You will be missed, sweet Mimi!

Oh, we have had a lot of loss here recently at TCS.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, the pain of losing such a beloved member of the family is overwhelming in the beginning, I know how much it hurts. I pray you can take comfort in knowing you gave that precious little girl almost 13 years of love and care and that is all she ever wanted. The bond you formed can never be taken from you, not even death will erase the memories you have, or take away the love you have for each other that is now so tenderly held in your heart. You couldn't leave her to suffer, I'm sure she is at peace now, knowing she will never be forgotten and the mark she left on this earth will be known to many now thanks to your beautiful tribute. Unfortunately they cannot match our lifespan, they must leave us behind to mourn their passing and to celebrate their time here on earth so full of love and companionship. The hole it leaves in our heart and our homes is huge, only time helps to soften the edges and it takes a long time to heal that hole which will leave a scar forever more. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, know you are not alone in your grief........RIP sweet Mimi, you will be forever held in loving hearts!

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss!  Mimi is beautiful.  It is uncommon for a female to have that coloring. Although you are much, much younger your story with your kitty mirrors mine.  Rizzo was my first pet in adulthood &  he had the same disease & treatments.  This was my first time of having to make the decision to end a life.  He hated the medicine & there was no way any force feeding would be tolerated.  The vets wanted to do a biopsy but I knew that Rizzo did not want any more treatments.  He never got to the losing weight part because his discomfort required action prior to this but we did get to spend his last 3 weeks together.  It was very hard doing this while knowing that the day I would lose him was so close.  This is such an awful disease!  I have only heard of a few kitties that have survived the IBD diagnose for more than a few years.  I did not know how to feed a kitty in the beginning & felt that this caused his cancer, but who knows.

The feeling of loss is so incredible especially when they go like this.  Better they could all die peacefully in their sleep at the age of 25 but we would still not be ready for them to leave.  I wish there was something I could say to make your journey through grief easier but it will just take time.  At first it will be all consuming & everything will remind you of her absence.  Please take comfort in knowing that Mimi knew that you did everything you could to help her & in the end did the hard thing to end her pain.  She is now running & playing in the sunshine but hoping that her mom will feel better soon. The picture of the two of you says it all!

RIP Beautiful Mimi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words. You all are so helpful. It makes me feel better when I see those replies. People don't always understand.
I am so sad but I am doing baby steps. I think I see her in her little bed and going crazy, or it feels like she is at the vet for a surgery or something and I wait for her to come back. It still doesn't feel, or I don't want to believe, that she is gone! I think it will hit me hard after a month or so...

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.

RIP Beautiful Mimi

little cutie66

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, you have to take baby steps. It's a month that I lost my Fella a Little Girl. I still cry every day. I can't believe they are gone. But everyone said in time it gets better. I pray you get stronger, god bless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mimi and her cat bus toy (I'm a "my neighbor Tototo" fan). My husband got this last Saturday for me because it also looks like Mimi. I can't go anywhere without the cat bus!
And Mimi's last resting place .

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for sharing the story of little Mimi from Greece.  She was a very beautiful kitty.   So sorry for your loss, arinlars.  RIP sweet Mimi.