My Male Cat Was Just Neutered. I Have A Question.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me a collar cone and told
me to keep it on 7 to 10 days. My cat hates it and is very edgy with it on. He’s not able to eat or drink water with it. Is this really necessary on a male just neutered cat?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My niece's kitty got neutered and he didn't wear the cone at all and he was fine, mine got spayed and no cone either. Our vet didn't want to put one on my kitty unless she was REALLY liking her wound because they don't like the cone. If you feel comfortable... you can try taking it off but keep an close eye on him, at least so he can have a break of it and eats and drinks. Keep him under supervision!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great! Thanks for the information!

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But it’s the melt away stitches.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But it’s the melt away stitches.
I think you'll be okay!
That's the same of what was used on Skye (my kitty) and Domingo ( my niece's).
If you decide to take the cone off. . . Make sure you're around all the time!
:goodluck:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used a cone, on a male or female.

The main issue to look for with a male is infection or irritation if he licks it too much. Even if the stitches split it won't cause much trouble. Many vets don't even use stitches for males. So he should be OK as long as he isn't completely obsessed with his incisions.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys are great. Thanks! Troy is doing very well. Not even groggy. Has an appetite and is drinking water. I am giving him small amount of food. I had Troy take a long nap in one of the rooms. I did take off the E-collar, which they charged me $13.99 for. So far I have not seen him licking the incision. They also gave me pain meds to start tomorrow. Not sure if he's in pain, but will still give it to him, just in case.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Starlion. You guys at this forum are great. Cat owners are great ;)

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys are great. Thanks! Troy is doing very well. Not even groggy. Has an appetite and is drinking water. I am giving him small amount of food. I had Troy take a long nap in one of the rooms. I did take off the E-collar, which they charged me $13.99 for. So far I have not seen him licking the incision. They also gave me pain meds to start tomorrow. Not sure if he's in pain, but will still give it to him, just in case.
Great news! That's awesome!!
:hyper:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having had dozens of ferals neutered, the cone was never a "thing" here but I think a lot of vets like to take precautions with pet cats.
Watch for swelling, redness, etc.
We had a house cat with double CCL surgeries with staples that freaked over the cone...and we decided against the cone because he was NOT able to rest or relax.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neutered cat is doing great on the 2nd day of surgery, like if no operation had ever taken place. I have been reading many articles that say that intact male cats "SPRAY" in the house. Mine never did. Or was it because he was only a little over a year old and has a female companion? They're 100% indoor cats. Maybe if he was alone he would have sprayed? Or another male cat in the household?

• Purraise

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was told once they learn to spray fixing them probably won't fix it. It sounds like he never sprayed. You got him fixed so you should be good to go. No spraying is a yeah!!!

• Purraise