My Male Cat Was Accidentally Spayed

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its very gracious of you to accept the vets apology and not report him but as @jen said, your cat is ok and thats the most important thing. I would imagine thats one mistake the vet will not make again. Speedy recovery to your kitty.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do agree with your course of action. He apologized and will more than likely be very careful with your cat in the future.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got Charlie, I was under the impression that he was a she. At his first vet appointment, I guess the vet was able to feel his as-yet undescended testicles, because she said "Oh, Mabel's a boy." By the time he reached six months, that was overwhelmingly clear.

I'm only a layperson, but I would expect a *vet* to get it right.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God! I am sorry that your cat went through this.
I don't know what I'd do if I were in your place. Thank goodness he is alright.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think the vet could tell from the external “parts” but it is possible I suppose that the cat had undescended testicles and appeared female until beginning the surgery. However, there does seem to be confusion from the first consultation. Keep asking questions until you get answers. Ask for copies of your vet records.
This happened to one of my male cats. I was however notified that was the case and a small abdominal incision was necessary. I hope you find a better vet. I know a lot of people in my town say my vet is expensive - but they provide excellent care, always answer any of my questions and have squeezed me in for emergencies (we've had a few). It's important to find someone you trust.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like in some humans, cats can have both sets of genitals, or the testicles could be unusually small or undescended. I'm so sorry yoru boy had to go through this, I hope the vet learned a valuable lesson. They should have at least gave you no/reduced bill!