My male cat keeps vomiting

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I nutered my 2 years 4 months old cat 12 days ago. He vomited couple of times the first day but then he was eating more then before being nutered, wanted to play most of the time, he was using the litter box everytime "he used to pee everywhere corner before" and seemed very ok , the operation spot is almost healed and dosen't look infected at all. Out of the sudden yesterday midday he vomited everything he eat (no liquid i could see the food he had) there's no change in behavior he's still playfull, purrs when he wants petting and he would eat immediately after he vomited if i would put food for him. I thought that could be something random but in the night he vomited again , and today he did again . it was some hours after he ate. Everytime he was sleeping woke up and vomited.

Could this still be because of the anesthetic? It took him around 9h to recover from the anesthesia the day he was nutered.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a few different types of anesthesia.

Did they give him some pain medication as well? If yes, how long did he take it for and what is it? That could also cause vomiting.

It's best to call your vet and just ask if they think he needs anything or you should bring him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They gave him nothing after the operation.
Problem is I do not trust the vet in my small town would probably have to take him the Tuesday to a bigger city(50+km). ( I can't sooner)

I was looking for opinions or advice before taking him to the vet.

He seems perfectly fine and I feel so bad not playing with him , he brings toys and cry's for me to play with him but I am afraid he will throw up again :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I seriously doubt the anesthesia has anything to do with his vomiting now. And, unless he is still taking pain meds, as noted above, I can't imagine that is impacting him now this many days after surgery. For the most part, either one should have affected him within the first few days following surgery.

The first time he vomited sounds like regurgitation, usually brought on by eating too fast or too much at one time. When he vomited overnight, had you withheld food because of his earlier vomit session? If so, that might have been from acid build up in his stomach from the lack of food. The next time he vomited, some hours after eating, could still have been from his stomach being irritated by the stomach acids. Otherwise, it could be due to a recent food change? Somebody else giving him food that maybe he should not have? Other items in the house that he is getting into? Have his water dishes been thoroughly cleaned, to avoid bacterial accumulating?

If he continues to vomit, and/or you can't find another possible reason for what might be behind him throwing up this far after surgery, you do need to contact the vet and tell them what is going on, as suggested above.

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I seriously doubt the anesthesia has anything to do with his vomiting now. And, unless he is still taking pain meds, as noted above, I can't imagine that is impacting him now this many days after surgery. For the most part, either one should have affected him within the first few days following surgery.

The first time he vomited sounds like regurgitation, usually brought on by eating too fast or too much at one time. When he vomited overnight, had you withheld food because of his earlier vomit session? If so, that might have been from acid build up in his stomach from the lack of food. The next time he vomited, some hours after eating, could still have been from his stomach being irritated by the stomach acids. Otherwise, it could be due to a recent food change? Somebody else giving him food that maybe he should not have? Other items in the house that he is getting into? Have his water dishes been thoroughly cleaned, to avoid bacterial accumulating?

If he continues to vomit, and/or you can't find another possible reason for what might be behind him throwing up this far after surgery, you do need to contact the vet and tell them what is going on, as suggested above.
I clean he's water bowl everyday coz he takes he's toys and dips them in water, after he first vomited I put water in more locations and he drank quite a lot, he usually dosen't drink that much water.
He started to eat way way more after being nutered could this be a cause?

He just ate again and now he wants to play.
I will try witholding some food and only give him 1 type of food.

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could not find the edit button sry

He used to lick everything plastic(bags,labels on bottles etc) , but I also took those away

Its only I who gives him food, he got the same things as before

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was looking for opinions or advice before taking him to the vet.
Of course! And that's why we are here, to help people brainstorm.

But calling the vet, they'll tell you what to watch for and when it will become an emergency. I always call my vets office for things or the emergency after hours. Ive rarely had them ask me to bring them in needlessly.

I called the other day re: my new cat that they haven't seen yet and they said to monitor for 24 hours, and what to watch for to bring him in sooner.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I clean he's water bowl everyday coz he takes he's toys and dips them in water, after he first vomited I put water in more locations and he drank quite a lot, he usually dosen't drink that much water.

He just ate again and now he wants to play.
I will try witholding some food and only give him 1 type of food.
It may be more a matter of feeding him slowly. A little at a time to prevent regurgitation.

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course! And that's why we are here, to help people brainstorm.

But calling the vet, they'll tell you what to watch for and when it will become an emergency. I always call my vets office for things or the emergency after hours. Ive rarely had them ask me to bring them in needlessly.

I called the other day re: my new cat that they haven't seen yet and they said to monitor for 24 hours, and what to watch for to bring him in sooner.
There's no such thing as emergency after hours where i live,officialy there is but no one is gonna answer.a neighbour poisoned a friends dogs last winter , we called the police they gave us a number of a vet who has to take care of this kind of things.We called all weekend no answer ,he answerd on monday saying we should have put our dogs in cold storage over the weekend.Nothing happened to the neighbour.
So the only solution is to bring him to a clinic 57 km away on tuesday

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be more a matter of feeding him slowly. A little at a time to prevent regurgitation.
I will try this and give him only soft food for now

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may be more a matter of feeding him slowly.
I suppose it is possible that he might want to eat more now that he is neutered. But I do think a possible solution might be to feed him less at one time, but more often. So, small, more frequent meals. Maybe feed him 4 times a day.

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just ate for the 2nd time 1/4 of a portion with sleep, petting, purring and bird watching in-between. I'll keep feeding him small portions at a time.
Thanks so much for all the help, I will keep updating here until I take him to a vet.
Here's a pic of Fran"Cisco"

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he the kind of cat that will eat things he shouldn’t? Does he play with hair ties? This isn’t related to the neuter. A cat neuter is a 5 minute procedure and any anesthetic agent that was in his system is now long gone. I would worry more about an intestinal obstruction on a cat this young.

You need to watch for signs of dehydration. Sunken eyes, dry tacky gums, delayed skin turger ( when you gently pull the skin up at his shoulders near the scruff, does it bounce right back or stay tented).

for now, since you can’t see a vet till Tuesday, monitor what he eats and drinks and what he does in the litter box. He is urinating, right? Feed small portions and if he will eat canned, that is better.

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don`t think he ate something he usually is pretty pretencious with what he eats, no hair ties.
He`s eye's look normal , he's guns also seem normal and they are not sticky and for the skin I can't tell

He's using the litterbox like always I checked he's stool and pee and they look the same to me.

He's very playfull, since I wount play with him to not make it worse he started running around and playing by himself.

He didn'`t vomit since yesterday I only feed him canned in small portions.

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He vomited again, it seems like he vomits when he's stomach is full, small portions made him vomit later but still he vomited everything

I will take him to my towns vet can't wait any longer

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vomiting is often a sign of illness, but if he eats well and is active, then it's a sign of relative health... That said, when my cat started vomiting from food repeatedly as a kitten, she turned out to have panleikopenia. Even though she was still happily prancing around (in high fever!) like always.

I think you'd benefit from taking him to a vet. I took mine to an ultrasonic stomach session first, and the woman who did it quickly pointed out the likely sign of an infectious disease (swelled lymph nodes). Then we did bloodwork, which confirmed it.

I hope there's nothing as serious going on with your cat, though!

P.S. And another time she started vomiting it turned out to be a much simpler issue, so don't get scared. We cured it just by giving her a children's stomach remedy for a few days (recommended by the vet). The cause was worms, we were told, so we dewormed her, of course. Even though she was dewormed just two months prior to that. Maybe that pill didn't work.

Last edited:

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took him to the vet. He had no fever, gums were ok the vet said .
He gave him 2 shoots and prescribed 2 gastritis medication + gastrointestinal food for a week.
He did no ultrasound and no bloodwork, hope he is right tho..

Kryxsuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The doctor just looked into he's eye's, mouth, took the temperature and felt he's stomach with he's hand..

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the vet didn't see any reason to do anything else? He has diagnosed him with gastritis quite confidently. Keep us updated about how your cat feels, I hope that with prescribed medication he'll get better in a few days!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you think that vet wasn’t hearing your concerns or wasn’t thorough enough, please go somewhere else.
Young adult cats don’t just get “gastritis” for no reason. A cat that is vomiting that much, should be worked up to find out why.
Just my opinion. Do what you feel is right.