My long hair foster cat

scampie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am fostering a cat for a local rescue organization. They are saying it is Maine coon mix, but I don't see Maine coon in her look. Can you help me to figure out her breed? I think it will help her to find a new home...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That pattern is called for Harlequin, or   Van pattern with some extra spots.

Nor me either see any Maine Coon in her, unless she is very biggish compared.   But they in the shelter perhaps knew whom the parents were?  With mixes is nothing sure.

I would say, domestic mediumhair, with a Harlequin pattern.  I think she is very pretty.    [possibly longhair]

Try to compare her to a breed?   Turkish Angora, I think, really.  In the first moments I thought she was shorthair - and turkish angora is rather longhaired.  But after awhile I noticed her bushy tail - which deems her to be at least medium hair...

Thus,  I really think she may have an Ancestor in Turkish Angora, or possibly Turkish Van.

You tell  the potential adopters  we though she is a mix of Turkish Angora,  you do have my approval for this.

Tx for caring!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scampie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information. She was rescued from the street when she was about 6 months old, so they don't know who the parents are. Since she is a small kitty with very soft long hair, I think we could rule out Maine Coon from her potential breed. My initial guess was also Turkish Van and now I am leaning toward to Turkish Angora, considering her soft long hair. 

Thanks!!! 

-- HC 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks for the information. She was rescued from the street when she was about 6 months old, so they don't know who the parents are. Since she is a small kitty with very soft long hair, I think we could rule out Maine Coon from her potential breed. My initial guess was also Turkish Van and now I am leaning toward to Turkish Angora, considering her soft long hair. 

Thanks!!! 

-- HC 
Yeah.  Perhaps say a mix with Turkish angora and Turkish Van, as Ancestors...   :)

Really, with that touch of elegant looking, I truly believe she may have a Turkish angora ancestor..   But the pattern she carries is typical of turkish van -

both these breeds are somewhat related to each other.  In Sweden for example, they belong to the same Breed club - in part because they are so few of them, but still.  It tells us they ARE near akin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scampie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just want to let you know - Hallie was adopted a few weeks ago and she is settling in nicely at her new home. Identifying her breed was a big factor, since we found someone who's looking for Turkish Angora. =) 

Thanks for all your help!!! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Just want to let you know - Hallie was adopted a few weeks ago and she is settling in nicely at her new home. Identifying her breed was a big factor, since we found someone who's looking for Turkish Angora. =) 

Thanks for all your help!!! 
Tx a lot for this report!   Yes, it made me happy.   :)