My Little One Has An Eye Problem! Advice, Experiences & Opinions Appreciated...

LilyRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My lovely Tommy has an eye issue at the moment and I would appreciate some opinions and advice on how to proceed! (He will be going to the vets first thing ) Some information about him and medical history before I start: he started life as a feral in a small warehouse colony. He wondered into my life when he was around two months old and I started the slow process of socializing him. He is now a love bug and extremely dear to me. Two weeks ago he got desexed and had his first vaccinations. He has been tested for for FIV and FeLV and was negative.
Tommy isn't now 7 months old and a healthy thing, when he was younger I would sometimes worry about his eyes as I would often have to wipe them to keep the corners clean.
(Two weeks ago we also got a new playmate, Luna, who was in pounds and rescue shelters most of his short life. )

A few days ago I noticed one eye was a little red, but he appeared otherwise in perfect health an energy. Today his eye is running, sticky looking and when he woke up he couldn't open it. I wiped it gently on the tears and, and lifted the bottom and top lid (he appeared in no pain and actually let me do this which surprised me as he was a feral and despite socialization doesn't allow some things.)
He is still happy, playing, eating and energetic.
I do want to add earlier this week for a day he was throwing up clear bile, but I put that down to food and he stopped doing that in a day - he continued eating then but a little less that particular day. Some photos of him an hour ago.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts about his, should I get cat friendly wipes and clean it for him? Does it look like an allergy, conjunctivitis, an eye infection? It looks like feline herpes virus to me, which I saw something I have been paranoid about at times... anyway, sorry I'm just so so worried about my little guy! He will be going the vet first thing in the morning - unless anyone things it is an emergency situation.
xxx

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh! Link had thst once too but his eye looked purple because of his blue eyes and the redness.

I agree that it looks like some sort of infection, but it could be herpes or a scratch to the eye or just an everyday infection. Your vet will likely do a stain test to check for injuries and provide medicated drops to help the redness and any discomfort.

I wouldn't stress too much at this point. Even if it is a sign of herpes that isn't a death sentence by any means nor is it really that horrible. Keeping a low stress home and good quality diet can do wonders even with that diagnosis to keep your cat healthy and happy. It is completely manageable. But at this point, I would operate under the assumption that it's just a little eye infection and nothing to worry about (still needs a vet check but totally minor issue).

:vibes:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know for sure, but i would expect an eye infection. Im glad you have him a vet appointment for in the morning. I would say he will need antibiotics most likely. Do let us know how he is after you see the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, the both of you, for responding with your words to put me at ease! Looking back at my post it's crazy how sometimes the littlest things can cause such panic when it comes to our kitties!
For me, Tommy and I have a special bond, a different one than with my other two despite loving them all the same! I think it's due to how we found each other and the circumstances of my care with him that has made me so protectively crazy at times!!!

Everything went well at the vets and is just a small infection of the tear ducts! Later last night I cleaned his eye area and he seemed already 100 times better! So by the time we got to the vets, he was pretty much back to his happy chap self, he is now passed out after a boisterous play session with Luna his playmate!

So thank you again, I'm at much more peace now! Currently Tommy:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! such a cute boy, glad it was nothing too bad, and that he is feeling better! :bliss:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyRae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought I would just update you all!
:dizzycat:
My little Tommy has gotten worse after, just after a promising turn.. both of his little eyes are inflamed and watery and looks so sore! His nose is also runny. I feel he infected his second eye himself with wiping it with the same paws.

Apart from that that he is in good spirits and was screaming for breakfast and playing with his best friend, Luna.

(I have been trying to seperate the two to keep infectious rate down though by this point they have been in each other's faces since the beginning of the eyes problems and it's been very difficult to keep them actually secluded. Maggie has managed to stay away, as she has been an outdoor/courtyard cat latey much to my dismay!!)

Off to the vets again this afternoon! Wish my little man much luck xx

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two pretty friends :) Sorry that it has gotten worse! Best of luck at the vet today. let us know what you find out. :goodluck: