My life with a 'Meezer' - the Siamese king and I

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My closest friend was my seal point Siamese, Jingles, who died aged 16 just after my own 16th birthday. We had grown up together and when he died of kidney. failure, I cried for three days.

When people talk about their 'soul kitty' I know exactly what they mean.  He was bright, witty and silly when I needed a laugh; he was warm and quiet when I needed to just sit and ponder; he read me like a book and adapted to my moods.

His purrs made me happy, it was so gratifying to make him happy!

He was as elegant and graceful as he was slapstick and irreverent...and I couldn't keep him out of a box except when it was time to take him to the vet's for his booster shots. (How did he know that's where we were going?)

He was curious and playful, into everything, always wanting to be the centre of attention, at the heart of the action. He would not be ignored. If Jingles didn't come to greet me, speaking loudly, there was something mighty wrong...

His voice could move me to joy or sadness - he was so expressive! I know I will never have another cat like him, but I'm grateful to have known him.

Even after all these years, I smile when I think of him and miss him still.

Thank you, Jingles, for everything!

I just had to say this, as he was a king among his species.

Does anyone else have such fond memories of their Siamese?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a Siamese cat, nor did I get to grow up with a cat, but I know Siamese have an amazing reputation for being very close and faithful with their human family and can only imagine how close a bond you could have with one growing up as you did.  Very special.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are very sympathetic and kind, thank you for your kind thoughts.

Your cat looks oriental; I can imagine he/she has similar characteristics to my Jingles. I hope this is your 'soul cat' - there's nothing like it! That's one pretty kitty you have.

My new cat is a Bengal/Siamese/BSH cross and I think he's a tad fat, (bless him!). I'll ask the vet, but he's a loving soul! That's what I need - the love of a sweet cat. He's cheerful, playful and intelligent.

Don't you find that a thinking kitty is a boon to life?

schbunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I own 2 Siamese -Dexter (blue point) and Brian (chocolate point), and a Norwegian Forest Cat (mix) -Jack.

While I love Jack and Brian, Dexter always has the biggest place in my heart. He is always licking my face and comforting me while I am sad. He meows constantly and always wants my affection. He is my 'baby' and I am his 'mama' as I like to say lol :) He has no issue coming to bed with me and will stay there the entire night without leaving, just happy to be by my side.

Right now he is going on 9 yrs, and I am feeling that stress of him getting older and passing away. It makes me so sad to think about it. I am hoping he has another 10 years at least since Siamese tend to live longer.

I am hoping Brian will turn out just as loving as he  goes into adulthood, but I will always have that soft spot for the blue point Siamese.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@schbunny, I hope you upload some more photos of your guys on the site as they sound gorgeous, and I love chocolate point colouring. 
   Awsome bond you have with Dexter by the sound of it  (and you could have another 10 -15 years so don't panic yet)!

@zootandemo, any photos of your chubby Bengal/Siamese/BSH?  
  I have to see what he looks like? 
    Mouse is a 'Foreign' class being Russian Blue but when he tucks his whiskers in and relaxes his ears he can look a bit like a Korat because he has a heart shaped face.  He too has been described as a tad fat - one judge report read 'portly around the middle'! 
  He gave him a Premier certificate anyway though. 

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything one loves, one must be prepared to lose, that is the way of it. Would we be happier not having known these animals, who gave us so much? I for one, am grateful for the love of my Jingles, even if I can't replicate it.

My bootiful, bountiful Bengal/Siamese/bsh refuses to stay still and short of eating and toileting he's all over the shop! Our house is three storeys and he takes some going after. It's strange: he comes to me for strokes, cuddles, belly-rubs, then disappears for a few hours at a time. Why???? He's not threatened or troubled in any way.I have provided his favourite foods, blankets and ,toys. Maybe he's just 'finding his feet' as it were... Any ideas?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

schbunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Anything one loves, one must be prepared to lose, that is the way of it. Would we be happier not having known these animals, who gave us so much? I for one, am grateful for the love of my Jingles, even if I can't replicate it.

My bootiful, bountiful Bengal/Siamese/bsh refuses to stay still and short of eating and toileting he's all over the shop! Our house is three storeys and he takes some going after. It's strange: he comes to me for strokes, cuddles, belly-rubs, then disappears for a few hours at a time. Why???? He's not threatened or troubled in any way.I have provided his favourite foods, blankets and ,toys. Maybe he's just 'finding his feet' as it were... Any ideas?

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Some cats just love their alone-time. My Jack is like that. He only comes around when he wants attention then goes off to sleep somewhere. The more you pet him tho, the more he should come around!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know where your guy hangs out?  Has he got a favourite spot somewhere?  Or is he making sure any resident rodents and potential cat invaders know it's his place and rubbing up and down leaving his scent over as much of his new territory as he can and having fun?

One lovely black cat I met had a fantastic spot in his house - he had found a viewing spot laying with his head hanging over the edge of the attic door - that let him see the doors for all the bedrooms, the door to the living room and the main door in to the house without moving a muscle, and he got the nice warm updraft from downstairs!  Could be you're just sitting in the wrong room?

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could be right, perhaps he's found a favourite spot to survey his new kingdom, but I wish I knew where it was. I'm nervous when I can't see or hear him. I don't mind him having his own rules of engagement, I 'worry when I don't know where he is. I daren't invite him outside yet.

I want him to be happy. I got a thrill filling in the rehoming form for his micro chip. Silly, I know, but it's like he's really mine, even if he's off on his own household adventures.

Damn these old houses - there are more mysteries in it than an Agatha Christie novel!

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to show off my boy, but he's not playing that game. I want to get his picture up here so you can all see his handsome Bengal face! And yes, his British Short Hair genes are in evidence - he's a bit tubby! I'll gently work on that, but not today.

I'd like very much to know where he sleeps when he's not with me. I feel like I do with my teenage boys: I can't monitor them 24/7 and it would be weird if I did, I just like to trust they're okay by knowing where they are. Am I a nutcase?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, I'm going to have to wait to see him! 

You will have to find some sneaky way to track him. 

Paw paint?  
      Litter tracking?  
   Motion activated cameras throughout your home?  
   Shaking a container of his favourite snacks?  

On a serious note, I hope you have completed a thorough check of your home to block all interesting 'spaces' like gaps in walls, chimneys and pipes - it is pretty amazing what cats manage to get themselves in to but not always out of! 

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Too right!

I knew he was still here as I tended his food, water and tray as per, (all used), turned the radio on and off for company when I wasn't there, called, read aloud, etc... I must be blind not to have seen him on top of the bookshelf. What a plonker am I.

He had never left the room I gave him to get settled in.

He's keen on affection, loves having his chin scratched, long strokes down back and sides, but from his shelf. I haven't tried to pick him up as I want him to come to me. So I chat softly, encouragingly, and wait.

Just glad he's not wedged in a wall or something awful like that!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Sitting on a shelf, in the room the whole time!  I love this cat!   Camouflage kitty. 

You can sort out a photo now then  (discreetly of course so you don't stress him out and chase him out of his chosen spot).