My kittys breaths per minute rate at rest averages 120!!

Kelj78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one year old kitty breathes extreme fast. Even at rest his breath rate averages between 80-120 bpm. The only time it is in the normal range is when he is asleep. He doesn’t seem affected by his tachypnea, he is active and normal as to be expected. I’m curious to know if anyone has ever experienced this before. (He has been this way since birth, been to a vet and had an X-ray which they said was normal). None of my other cats are like this except for his 2 sisters and their mother which are the same way but not as fast as him. I’ve went down many “rabbit holes” trying to find some answers with no luck. All the possible causes of consistent, long term tachypnea he doesn’t have (per his vet). But every time I see him breathing it drives me nuts. Not only is his chest rising/falling but so does his lower abdomen on the sides. Any thoughts?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It must be something genetic...obviously, since both his sisters and his mom have this too. But WOW, that's astoundingly fast. And your Vet has given him a completely sound bill of health. Has he seen a cardiologist, just in case? Or at least had an EKG? (I don't know if regular Vets can do that or not).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I second the specialty vet, specifically one who deals with cardiology. He is young enough that "all the possible causes of consistent, long-term tachypnea he doesn’t have (per his vet)" doesn't mean much, IMO. Having him checked out might help to treat him, but also his siblings and mother.

Moogmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Kind of an old post but hoping you’re still around. My one year old cat that I’ve had since she was 2 months old has always been a fast breather. Her breaths per minute around about the same as your cat and it also drives me insane because I know it’s not “normal”. She acts totally fine though! Plays, eats, drinks, good gums, affectionate. She’s incredibly anxious over everything so maybe that’s what it is, but I was wondering how your cat is? Did he grow out of it? Did a vet ever figure anything out? I’m planning on taking her to her vet sometime soon (I had hoped she’d outgrow it at some point but since she hasn’t I have to take her in) but looking for any peace of mind in the meantime. :)