My Kitty's Amazing Christmas Present!

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My brother who is a talented carpenter built my kitty an enclosed "catio" off our breakfast nook. It is basically a screened porch which surrounds the windows, and we can open the window to let her out. (It also has a screened door on the outside for people.) He built shelves and ramps all around it so she can climb and jump.

He even built her a private bathroom! It is a little "shed" off the side of the structure which encloses a litter box, and it has a door on the outside where I can take it out to clean it.

I asked my brother to leave a small gap under the door just big enough for small critters to get in and amuse the cat - like bugs or lizards. But somehow a tiny bird actually managed to get in (NOT my intention!) and Stella dispatched it quickly then brought it in the house and "gave" it to my brother. He found a trail of feathers leading to his room and the little dead bird under his bed. I guess she gave him a little "gift" to thank him for her Kitty Palace.

(Poor birdie, I didn't imagine that would happen since the gap is less than two inches!)

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother who is a talented carpenter built my kitty an enclosed "catio" off our breakfast nook. It is basically a screened porch which surrounds the windows, and we can open the window to let her out. (It also has a screened door on the outside for people.) He built shelves and ramps all around it so she can climb and jump.

He even built her a private bathroom! It is a little "shed" off the side of the structure which encloses a litter box, and it has a door on the outside where I can take it out to clean it.

I asked my brother to leave a small gap under the door just big enough for small critters to get in and amuse the cat - like bugs or lizards. But somehow a tiny bird actually managed to get in (NOT my intention!) and Stella dispatched it quickly then brought it in the house and "gave" it to my brother. He found a trail of feathers leading to his room and the little dead bird under his bed. I guess she gave him a little "gift" to thank him for her Kitty Palace.

(Poor birdie, I didn't imagine that would happen since the gap is less than two inches!)
I can see that is quality work....very nice.

Now close that gap. One bird killed is one too many.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can see that is quality work....very nice.

Now close that gap. One bird killed is one too many.
Well, I figure MANY birds have been saved since I rescued this cat. She was living outdoors - a stray or semi feral - and I trapped her and adopted her. No telling how many birds she had killed before that. I can't save every bird in the world, but by making this cat an indoor pet, I'm sure I have saved quite a few already.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every house should have one, just on general principle!! Might have been a house wren going after the bugs n lizards. I’m sure there’s a stopgap measure.
Well, I hope it was just a fluke, a bird would have to be pretty motivated to scrunch under that door, I can't imagine it will happen very often. I'll wait and see if it happens again before I decide if I need to do anything different.