My kitty is biting me

howeycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two cats long time ago and one of them bonded with me and the other one with my husband incredibly she is like his shadow and when we are sitting on the couch watching tv the cat would just lay down in his belly and that is my kitty's favorite place ..my husband's belly LOL , but not so long ago this kitty began biting and scratching she is not doing it as an aggresive response I would thing she is doing it more in a playtime way but the problem is that now we can't even pet her anymore because as soon as she sees a hand going over her she thinks we are playing and gets into play mode , how can we reprogram her brain to stop doing that? She has a lot of toys but won't pay attention to them and when we adopted her they told us at the shelter that she was two years old so she is pretty young , does it have something to do with her sudden new behavior?

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I would try letting her see your hand on the floor by her and let her come to you. Cats are very sensitive a slight change In everything can do this my cat princess went for me once and o couldn't move round my flat I got the vacuum as she hated them and put her in the spare room for a full day and the day after she was a different cat she was around 1 when she done this and she is now ten and I very chilled out girl. Good luck in it all.

millcats66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Howeycat, cats can really be little stinkers at times. We had a kitten that would do the same thing. It took a while but we were able to break her of this habit. What worked for us was using one of those cat toys with a long stick and some feathers or other long item on the end you can swing around for them to chase.
Our concept was that everytime we went to pet her and she tried to play with our hands we would distract her with the toy in hopes of getting her to understand the toy was to play with not the hand. We stayed close to her while she chased the toy and touched her whenever she got close. Sometimes she would try to go after our hands but we would pull it back and she would go after the toy again. Eventually, she figured out the toy was for play and the hand was for affection. It took a while to turn her around but she did and now no more attacking the hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howeycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you this has been very helpful !!!![emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji]