My Kitty Hates The Car

kalikitty97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten hates the car. We frequently go on vacation and she is still too young to leave at home with some food and water for the weekend. Where we go is about 5 to 6 hours away depending on traffic and she cries the WHOLE ride. It gets to the point that her little meows are hoarse. I know it's not the kennel she doesn't like because if we put her in it in the house shes quiet and just lays there. As soon as we put it in the car she goes insane. It makes me feel bad because shes crying but it's also really annoying listening to her cry for 5 hours straight. We have tried to give her free roam of the truck but she is not the type to just lay down.. and we don't want her to get somewhere we can't get her immediately, as that can be a little dangerous. We have recently tried the Sentry calming collars but those don't work too well for her. Still crying! Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you cover the carrier with a towel? Also, buy some Feliway spray & spray it in the carrier before you put her in it. It really works.

I definitely would not let her out of the carrier when she's in the truck. That is dangerous for all concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalikitty97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you cover the carrier with a towel? Also, buy some Feliway spray & spray it in the carrier before you put her in it. It really works.

I definitely would not let her out of the carrier when she's in the truck. That is dangerous for all concerned.
We do cover her with one of her thin blankets. However, it seems to make her worse to be honest. I will definitely be trying the Feliway. Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can your kitten stay at home and a pet sitter can visit at least twice daily to check on her and refill the food and water bowls, clean the litter box, and provide play time?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like motion sickness maybe.

My Hector used to get bad car sickness so we would sedate her for car rides. I know not ideal but it worked.