My Kittens Teeth

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitten Jack is going on 6 months old (February 8th is his half year birthday!). I know literally nothing about cats, and I especially know nothing about kittens. He is the first one I have and the only pet I have had since living on my own, so it’s a huge, brand new responsibility for me.

His adult teeth are growing in, and he’s got double cainines right now. He had it both on the top and bottom, but the bottom have both luckily fallen out, now he just has them on the top. These do not seem to be loose at all.

My question is, tonight after work, after looking at his teeth (I do this every night since I noticed this), I noted that on the left side of his mouth, on what I am 99% sure is the baby tooth, it looks as though he has a lot of plaque by his gum line on that tooth. Is that normal? Is it okay since it’s on his baby tooth and it’s going to come out anyway? I don’t have much money, so I don’t want to take him to the vet unless it’s absolutely necessary.

I have attached the best picture I could get of it (he won’t hold still for very long, sorry for the bad quality.)

Attachments

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You photo is admittedly not very good but it does appear as though your kitten has quite well-developed gingivitis, especially for a kitten so young. My cat Thirteen was in the same boat but she was even younger when I noticed it. My vet had me to begin brushing her teeth nightly. He claimed that that, along with diet, is the most important thing you can do for the health of your cat. Almost three years later and both of my cats have fantastic teeth! My vet is always amazed. The trick is consistency. You must do it every night and you must do it well. Barely swiping at their teeth with a toothbrush isn't going to do much of anything.

I'd suggest a vet visit so your vet can confirm. The very last thing any cat owner wants to hear a vet say is "stomatitis," which many believe starts with severe gingivitis. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought that too, but it seems like it came out of nowhere. It looked totally normal yesterday and the day before, and then looks like that tonight. It’s only on that one tooth and it’s definitely his baby tooth, so it should fall out in the next few weeks I’m hoping. All of the adult teeth he has now look great. I found him in a parking lot when he was a month old and he came running right up to me. I want to do the right thing for him, I just can’t afford something as expensive as dental care and I don’t know what to do.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, it appears that she has tartar/plaque just sort of hanging on her teeth, and her gums are terribly, terribly inflamed. I would strongly suggest a visit to your vet, but at the very least you need to begin IMMEDIATELY brushing her teeth. You can buy a dental care "kit" at Petco for about ten bucks which will consist of a small toothbrush and toothpaste. The toothpaste is enzymatic and will help. Be sure you get the kit for cats because the toothbrush is small. Or you can buy a small child's toothbrush but I find that the ones made for cats are better.

After you brush, I would take a q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide and paint a small amount on her gums. Use only a small amount because hydrogen peroxide is an emetic for cats.

It's unfortunate but some cats are just born with genetically bad teeth and are more predisposed than others to gum disease.

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually spoke to the vet this morning and showed them the picture and he has an appointment Tuesday morning to have the two baby teeth removed. This is apparently from over crowding in his mouth and should clear up once he has more space.

Thank you so much for your help!!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so great to hear! I'm REALLY happy you decided to get him to a vet. Don't neglect brushing though, seriously. And your cat is still of an age where he can learn to accept it. Also, given that he was outside and probably eating gross stuff before you found him . . . he needs to be wormed. Your vet will most likely suggest it but if he doesn't be sure to say something to him. Almost 99% of all kittens are going to have some form of parasite. Worms will rob him of nutrients he needs to grow big and strong and will cause gastrointestinal problems too.

THANK YOU for taking this awesome little boy in.

You're an awesome person.

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been wormed twice, and he’s good to go! He has already had all three rounds of vaccines, plus his rabies and he’s been neutered. He weighs 8 lbs now, and the vet things he will weigh about 17 when fully grown! He’s going to be a big boy lol

I am about to head into work but tomorrow morning I will stop and get a tooth brush kit from Petco.

Thank you again for your help!

Also, I attached a picture of him so you can see him other than his teeth haha

Attachments

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, he's so lucky to have found you. You're taking such good care of him! He is super handsome too. Let me know if you have any questions about brushing his teeth, and be sure to let us know he made it through the extractions safely.

:purr:

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His tooth actually fell out last night! I’m keeping vet appointment Tuesday just so I can discuss options about his one remaining tooth and make sure everything looks alright in his mouth, but this was a big relief!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually spoke to the vet this morning and showed them the picture and he has an appointment Tuesday morning to have the two baby teeth removed. This is apparently from over crowding in his mouth and should clear up once he has more space.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Wow, it appears that she has tartar/plaque just sort of hanging on her teeth, and her gums are terribly, terribly inflamed. I would strongly suggest a visit to your vet, but at the very least you need to begin IMMEDIATELY brushing her teeth. ...

It's unfortunate but some cats are just born with genetically bad teeth and are more predisposed than others to gum disease.
His tooth actually fell out last night! I’m keeping vet appointment Tuesday just so I can discuss options about his one remaining tooth and make sure everything looks alright in his mouth, but this was a big relief!
Some of that gum inflammation is a bit normal with the teething process, I think, and it was just intensified by the tooth being slow in falling out for Jack. You can see some gum inflammation in my kitty's gum when she was teething-
lavishsqualor lavishsqualor is great with promoting tooth-brushing, it's highly recommended!
Now, if my cat would only let me brush her teeth these days... :sigh: :stars:

Glad Jack is going to the vet Tuesday, and :goodluck: