My Kittens Have Very Large Stomachs Does Anyone Know Why This Happens?

Sarah95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I recently got new kittens 2 of them at 8 weeks old , i got rhem at 4 weeks due to there mother getting run down by car and a friend couldn't cope so I took 2 , if been nursing them for weeks and now there finally eating and drinking for them self also going to the litter fine . My is Oscar he's the ginger one he had a big stomach when I got him , blue which is the dark tabby didn't have that problem intill 2 weeks ago he started getting very big and his stomach is very large , they have been to get so many time if spend over 800 pounds on tests and everyhing just no luck , even the vet said it was worrying but didn't understand what was happening so she wormed them both incase it was worms . After working them Oscar got abit unwell and stoped eating and drinking and lost alot of weight , had to take him to vets a few times to get fluids in him , after a few days started giving them chicken as the vet told me to to get him to eat and its worked I still give them some chicken but they also eat the biscuits which is fab. I was seeing alot of improvement but now Oscars stomach is going back large again and blues stomach is also big im very confused on what this is , has anyone had this problem with there kittens stomach being very large . Il be going back to vets but it's costing me alot of money and I can't get them insured as its already happened under 8 weeks . I'm very worried about them . It's weird as they run about with my other 2 fine there both very playful and act like there all good but it's just there tummy there soo big . Here's some pictures . I just took these photos right now , they haven't when for a few hours as they judt been sleeping . You can't sew so well with blue but it's the same as Oscars if anyone could help that would be great .
20181018_021930.jpg
20181018_031816.jpg
Screenshot_20181018-032414_Gallery.jpg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How are their bowels? Are they pooing well? When did you last have them wormed? Kittens often need to be wormed really regularly, and worms certainly cause a big belly.
Or maybe they're just really enjoying their food. ;)
It will be interesting to hear what the vet has to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There pooping fine now , before they were loose but the vet gave me stuff for it and told me to give them some boiled chicken. They were wormed 2 weeks ago for 5 days for all types of worms and parasites. If been to get 7 times since iv had them. I just hope its not any kitten diseases which the vet mentioned iv just to keep an eye on them. If it doesn't go down vets gunna do some more tests. Blue loves his food he eat very well . Oscar on the other hand doesn't eat as much is blue . I guess I have to wait and see what happens. Just very worrying never seen that before. I'm just so happy that there still running around playing with the others and eating and drinking properly. There both same change from the same litter but Oscar is so much smaller than blue is , blue is growing very fast . I think Oscar is just going to take time as he didn't get very unwell last week , he seems to have recovered and back to him self :) poor babies have been through alot for the last few weeks there so young iswell
Fingers crossed they will be ok
i will update .

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Kitty when we adopted her was very tiny but had a big stomach so before we took her home they had to give her an enema and she pooped, ALOT. She was normal after a couple of days though. Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might mix some canned pumpkin (no spices) 1 teaspoon, in their food for a natural fiber. Make sure they are drinking plenty of water, get a fountain for them, or set several bowls of water around the house so they think it's fun to find them and drink. You might call the vet and see when they can be wormed again to interrupt the cycle of the worms, they should give you some with no appointment since they were seen before. If kittens eat well, it is normal to have a bigger stomach, Oscar might just grow into his!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for you advice I will try that out . There drinking plenty of water now I got a water fountain a week ago and they all seem to enjoy it . I have another kittens at 17 weeks and there healthy :) they will be due to get more working in another 2 weeks as its only been 2 weeks they last got wormed il keep an eye on them hopfully they will be ok :) thanks again

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could also try to give them a little simethicone, the same as human babies gets for problems with tummy and gases.
Cant harm may helm,
Just a few drops, not more. newborn would get a drop or two, these perhas 4-5 drops? Repeat during a couple of days.