My kittens first heat!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

There's the inability to reproduce and not having to deal with a cat in heat benefit, but no reduction in cancer or any other ailment.
I disagree, every unbred heat cycle carries the risk of Pyometra which can be deadly if not caught in time which is why breeders are very careful to moniter the cycles and breed at the correct times.

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by klaidman

your cat is just calling out to males. and a heat is usually uncomfortable for cats but not painful. one thing i always do with my baby when she is in heat is simply spray her backside with a little water. it distracts her and she just cleans herself
ooh thank you soo much. i can now worry less about her. i will try the water thing. thank you

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the symptoms of her estrus cycle are irritating to you, (and yes, they most certainly can be annoying to say the least), a better way to curb them than by squirting her with water is to confine her to a cool, dimly-lit room in your home. Cats are sensitive to both hours of light and temperature when it comes to estrus, so the cooler, dimly-lit room will help ease the symptoms and possibly even allow her to come out of heat a little quicker.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by klaidman

your cat is just calling out to males. and a heat is usually uncomfortable for cats but not painful. one thing i always do with my baby when she is in heat is simply spray her backside with a little water. it distracts her and she just cleans herself
I personally would not recommend this. You could end up with a cat that doesn't trust you. I don't recommend spraying water on a cat for any reason. If you get any water around her face or ears you can end up causing a bad ear infection.

The kindest and most humane thing to do is simply have her spayed. It's the humane and safest solution.

blondpierogi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks you for all your suggestions and help.
i have an appointment schedule for her for next friday to do surgery. The Banfields hospital i go to is always booked up and i wind up waiting almost a week for an appointment. ugh my brothers are so upset with her, we did not sleep at all last nite. I want this to end, i love Kizzi and i know that its not her fault, but i cannot stand this.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

According to a poster at the shelter I volunteer at, every heat cycle a cat goes through before getting spayed decreases the medical benefits of getting it spayed, and after about 2 years, there's virtually no medical benefit to it. There's the inability to reproduce and not having to deal with a cat in heat benefit, but no reduction in cancer or any other ailment.
Actually, cats spayed before their first heat are 200 times less likely to develop mammary cancer, and this benefit decreases till they are 2, but that shouldnt stop people spaying cats after the age of 2, I lost a 14yo to mammary cancer because she hadn't been spayed (and trust me, they still come into heat at that age), fortunately she had never developed pyometra. There is also the risk of ovarian tumours, which can cause what appears to be behavioural problems, because you have a very grumpy cat due to the pain as well as pyometra, and the only way they can't develop pyometra is to be spayed.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with cancer cells and a huge lump in her breasts at age 4 but she beat it after having 2 breasts removed.
Crf got her at age 11.
My new kitten Cleo patra gets fixed this thurs.

ilovepeggypatch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Found this thread most useful as peggy patch has just had her first heat and i have booked her in to be fixed!

Useful info and great advice - cheers!