My Kitten Won’t Let Me Pet Him

Lana145

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have a 2 month old kitten, and he is a very good kitten for the most part. He is very shy when meeting new people, but usually just hides under the couch when someone new makes him uncomfortable. He never scratches someone unless it’s playfully. The thing with him is that he lets you pet him from behind but even then only for about 10 seconds. I don’t even think he enjoys it that much. When I try a pet him from the front he tries to scratch and bite me. I try and put my hand out to see if he will touch his nose to it but he tries to scratch and bite even when I do that. I think he might think I’m playing with him. The only way he will let someone pet him from the front if if another person is holding him, and he doesn’t like being held for very long. How can I get my kitten to like being pet? I tried many different places: his head, chin, neck. I tried stroking him as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to be patient and only try to pet him when he allows it. A lot of times with kittens that young, it might only be when he is sleepy. Later, he might have a certain spot on the couch. Don't force it. I suggest never holding the kitten in place...if they don't like it, it can make things worse. Going slow and letting the kitten be the boss is the way to go.

You have good toys? For the time being, enjoy playing with an energetic kitten. The cuddling will come if your patient.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: How long have you had your kitten? These days the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks, so they have time to learn all the kitty manners. So, at 8 weeks, your kitten is still very young.

Here are links to some articles that might be helpful:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The best time, and sometimes the only time you can pet a kitten is when they are very sleepy or asleep. The rest of the time they have too much playing to do to be bothered with sitting still. So gently pick him up when he is dozing off and let him settle in for some sleeping and petting. One thing kittens and cats love is having their noses and forehead stroked from the bottom to the top and it often puts them to sleep.