My Kitten Was Bitten By A Stray Cat.

kathy97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What should I do? Please help me. My kitten was bitten by a stray cat. The wounds are deep, however the bleeding was already stopped. Right now, she is sleeping but very weak and by the way, she is only 3 weeks old. I brought her home from the streets without knowing anything. It is my first time taking care of a pet and I don't know what to do, I do not afford to go to a vet clinic. Please help me.
Thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She really does need to be taken to a vet clinic. You can ask friends or family if they can help or see about payment options with the vet. Some rescues and shelters have lower cost clinics while some vets offer reduced cost clinic days.

The problem is that a cat bite, especially a deep one, can get infected very easily and quickly. I've seen cats develop infections in just a few hours. At this stage you may just need it to be cleaned and antibiotics. If you wait she could need surgery and you will be looking at even higher costs, if she is even big enough for surgery. Add on her age and she doesn't have the ability to fight an infection for very long. She needs a vet, I am not trying to scare you but this is not something you can handle alone with her age and how the injury sounds.

For now, keep the wound clean and do NOT let it scab. You can clean it with warm water that has a drop of hydrogen peroxide in it. The hydrogen peroxide will slow healing so it stays open and help remove scabs. Apply a thin layer of Neosporin without any numbing or cooling or whatever effect, plain Neosporin. Drain any puss that develops as best you can and don't cover it because you want air flow to the wound to help kill bacteria. But she really really needs to see a vet for proper cleaning and antibiotics.

This is stopgate advice until you can get the funds or help to see a vet and by no means should be seen as anything other than triage care until you can see a vet. She needs to see a vet as soon as possible, given her age it is a life threatening emergency already. If you really can't find a way to get her medical help pelase consider taking her to a no kill rescue and explaining the situation. They may be able to help her.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathy97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is the kitten doing now?
She's doing great now. She can walk around like a healthy one, though on her right arm there is a strain but the dr. said it will be fine after a few days. It's a relief for me. I'm thankful she's alive.

kathy97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She really does need to be taken to a vet clinic. You can ask friends or family if they can help or see about payment options with the vet. Some rescues and shelters have lower cost clinics while some vets offer reduced cost clinic days.

The problem is that a cat bite, especially a deep one, can get infected very easily and quickly. I've seen cats develop infections in just a few hours. At this stage you may just need it to be cleaned and antibiotics. If you wait she could need surgery and you will be looking at even higher costs, if she is even big enough for surgery. Add on her age and she doesn't have the ability to fight an infection for very long. She needs a vet, I am not trying to scare you but this is not something you can handle alone with her age and how the injury sounds.

For now, keep the wound clean and do NOT let it scab. You can clean it with warm water that has a drop of hydrogen peroxide in it. The hydrogen peroxide will slow healing so it stays open and help remove scabs. Apply a thin layer of Neosporin without any numbing or cooling or whatever effect, plain Neosporin. Drain any puss that develops as best you can and don't cover it because you want air flow to the wound to help kill bacteria. But she really really needs to see a vet for proper cleaning and antibiotics.

This is stopgate advice until you can get the funds or help to see a vet and by no means should be seen as anything other than triage care until you can see a vet. She needs to see a vet as soon as possible, given her age it is a life threatening emergency already. If you really can't find a way to get her medical help pelase consider taking her to a no kill rescue and explaining the situation. They may be able to help her.

Thank you. Thank you so much. I am grateful to you. Thanks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be sure to have her tested for FIV/FeLV when she is older too to make sure the stray who bit her wasn't carrying those illnesses....

kathy97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your kitten 100% inside now?
Yeah i think so. haha, I always check to see if the doors and windows are close. I'm really scared about the last incident. Thanks for caring. I appreciate it a lot.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the stray cat get into your home, or was the kitten outside?