My Kitten Vomited A Hairball And Now Won’t Eat And Has Loose Stools

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 11 months old, and she is pretty small, about 7 lbs. She’s always had hair balls because she grooms our other adult cat as well as herself. She had one pretty large hairball at 3am and literally threw up about 8 times after that within three hours (between 3am and 6am), but nothing was in the vomits after the hairball. It was just yellow/clear with foam.

When I woke up to feed her this morning she wouldn’t eat, or even come to her bowl when I called for her. She LOVES to eat so I got worried. Then I noticed her bottom was wet with liquid stool. I checked the litter box and it wasn’t a lot but it was loose. She isn’t lethargic at all, she was chasing flies and even played with her favorite toy. I just got her to eat some of her dry food, she didn’t eat a ton, but she’s kept it down so far. So I think she’s recovering.

My question is, can the large hairball be the cause of her lack of appetite and the vomiting after the hairball? Or can they cause loose stools? She’s already improving, so I don’t know if I need to take her to the vet or just monitor it and make sure it doesn’t get worse. Has anyone had experience with this? Thank you!!!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There are, unfortunately, too many things that can cause this. I'd add some plain pumpkin to her diet (about a tablespoon) to help her tummy for normal days, but in the meantime I would suggest at least a call to your vet and see what they suggest.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If another hairball were begining to pass the other direction and caused a minor blockage, that would possibly cause the loose stools. Watch her carefully, and if the symptons persist, get her checked, just to make sure there isn't anything more serious going on. If she quits eating and drinking, becomes lethargic, or stops having stools entirely, that becomes urgent, and requires a vet trip ASAP. Keep us posted on how she does, please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyyrenee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it’s been a few days, and she is completely back to normal! She’s eating and she hasn’t had any loose stool in the litter box! I’m relieved! Still not 100% sure why she got like that and vomited so many times like that, but I’m glad she’s back to normal! Maybe the hairball was just way too big

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad your little girl is better. It may be that she had a little bug or something. Mine get those occasionally. They are normally over it in 24 to 49 hours. if not then we see the vet.

She is a very pretty little girl!