My kitten plays rough with my hand when I try to pet him....

rachie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,
I got two kittens 3 months ago that are 4 months old now. They're from the same litter, male and female. Their mother was a feral cat, and had a litter of 4 this time. They were seperated from their mother at about two weeks old. I ended up getting the two at about 5 weeks of age. Now, when I try to pet the male kitten he kinda flips over and tries to bite my wrist and fingers, and grabs me with his claws. Mind you, it's not hard...I believe he does it to play but sometimes I wonder. Sometimes I think it's because maybe I'm interrupting him from playing with a toy when I pick him up to pet him as well. Another issue I have is he likes to suckle and knead my neck! He does this every night during the night, I fight him off placing him by my thigh for him to sleep down there. I have a studio apartment, so I can't keep him out of my room as there are no doors. Both the kittens sleep with me on my bed. The girl is ok, she doesn't have these behaviors....only other thing with the both of them is they like to climb counters too. I'm actually thinking of letting them do that as my apartment is so small. I am going to be getting a bigger apartment next summer when my lease is up. I know that's a long wait, but it's just the way it is. The lady who gave me these kittens has a few cats of her own and she lets them get up there. Advice please....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add that these kittens are both active, the run circles around my small apartment. I've gotten a leash for them both (because I know they have the need to explore and run) and I tried to take them out yesterday but the neighbor's kid came to my yard and they went dashing back into the apartment. They are not used to people and they hide when they see them.

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I let mine on the counter, I just keep it clear of food or stuff that might be harmfull for them.

Two weeks to get separated from mom is shockingly young. This means they have missed out on a lot of very needed love and preparation for life. If the little guy needs you to be his mom for a while no big deal. Maybe buy something soft and safe (a small baby comfort blanket) that he can suckle on. If he can't console himself this way and make himself feel safe, he could start displaying unwanted behaviour stemming from anxiety. Give him some time go grow out of this and if he still does it at a year old you can try weening him off, but don't be too harsh now, he is a baby who missed out on some pretty important stuff trying and is to cope with this.

As for the biting, let them come to you for petting. Respect them when they're bussy with other stuff. A cat is not a toy to be picked up when you feel like it, just wait for a good time to pet.

A really satisfying thing to do is create a daily playtime session with them. It will boost their confidance to 'hunt' and will bond them with you. Give them a small treat after as reward for good hunting and of course use a toy like "Da Bird" and not your hand.

Look at these kittens from their perspective. What do they need to thrive? And not so much from what you need or don't need from them. If you can do that you can have a wonderful couple of adult cats soon who will absolutely love you to bits!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are always VERY active and biting is their way of playing. Your kittens missed out on all of mama's training for respect and what is acceptable which normally takes place at 6-12 weeks. The biting and latching on will disappear when they get older if you make it clear it is not acceptable. A firm no, or even a hiss (like mama would do) and then leaving him alone usually works. Get a  Kickaroo on Amazon, they are only a few dollars and my cats take all their aggressions out on them, they absolutely love them. Throw it to him when he looks like he is coming for you. It is lucky you have two, they will provide a lot of comfort and play for each other.

Cats are usually very shy of strangers, they are not as outgoing as dogs and take a while to warm up to people. This is not a bad thing. it depends on their personality on how outgoing they are. That is why cats are so good at survival, they need to know for sure that a stranger is not going to hurt them. They have had thousands of years bred into them of being cautious, and not without reason. A leash when outside is a good idea, I have done it for years,but don't go away from the safety of your yard, I have found when a dog comes a scared cat can slip out of almost any harness.Try not to subject them to strangers and dangers, they will appreciate it. cats are a special breed, they are cautious and do not give their love or their trust freely. 

Don't expect any slow down on kitten behavior until they are at LEAST a year old. But remember, there is nothing cuter then a playing kitten, enjoy this 'childhood' while you can, it will pass. You will be blessed for giving them a home, they love and respect you, you are very rich indeed.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the comments guys! I'll keep what you've said in mind.