My kitten meeting parents dog for xmas

bierhouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I've got a situation coming up in the future that I've been reading up on but i was wondering if you had any good ideas. I have 9 month old cat who has never seen a dog before. She does very well with meeting strange cats and playing with my ferrets and chinchillas. She's very social. I am at school now and will be taking her home for xmas with me and eventually will be moving back home in the spring after I graduate.Our dog at home is an 8 yr old Bichon Frise and his favorite thing to do is chase our barn cat. if she walks by the window or he even hears her name, he gets all worked up. So as you can see its going to be an interesting situation but i know that if i do it right it should all work out. so what i'm going to do is get my friend's little boston terrier who is also very nice and social, have Indy play around and hopefully get the idea that dogs are fun. Then send something with Indy's smell on it home for my dog so he can get used to the smell and that's where your help comes in because the actual meeting is where I'm concerned. I think i can convince my dog not to associate Indy with other cats. So what would you think about keeping her in my room for a couple days and then putting a child gate in the door and opening it so they can see eachother. whenever the dog sees her, he'll get a treat so will Indy. My hopes are that they'll associate seeing eachother with positve things and then go from there. is that a good idea?

Angela

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to the BEHAVIOR section of the site, (not the forum) there is a great article on introducing cats. You might be able to modify this for meeting a dog as well. Just remember to take it slow!