My kitten loves everyone except me??

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten (almost 16 weeks) was always cuddling with me when I first adopted her at 6 weeks. She never even thought of moving onto someone else’s lap.
Now, she doesn’t lay on or by me at all. She’ll lay on everyone else’s lap, mainly my stepmother’s.

The problem is I’m the only one who plays with her, feeds her, gives her treats, cleans her litter box, and trains her. She’s always following me, comes when she’s called, and happily meows and purrs when I greet her. But when it comes to cuddling or petting, she’ll just move away.

I’ve tried basically everything. Giving a ton of attention, giving her minimal attention, establishing a daily routine, giving her treats, and waiting for her to come to me rather than me to her.

I feel as if I’m making matters worse. She used to let me pet her and now she can’t stand it.

Am I doing something wrong? I’m always super nice to her; nicer than all my other family members. I’ve never yelled at her or harmed her purposely. It always breaks my heart whenever I see her crawl onto someone else’s lap and cuddle them. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It always breaks my heart whenever I see her crawl onto someone else’s lap and cuddle them
I think you're putting too much emphasis and emotion into this, but in any case, since your sweetie still does this ...
She’s always following me, comes when she’s called, and happily meows and purrs when I greet her.
... basically otherwise ignore her. Go about your regular daily routines that don't involve her, for days and days if necessary and don't focus on her at all once you've fed her and otherwise taken care of her needs.

When/if she does decide to cuddle with you don't make a big deal out of it :). I think she's simply exploring other options for now.

What's the training all about?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks you for your reply. :)
I’m a first time cat owner so I don’t really know what exactly to expect from a cat, especially in a loud family household. I’ve been trying to educate myself on cat psychology, communication, etc but there’s only so much you can read.

I’m usually training her to do tricks. I’ve already trained her to sit, come, fist bump, high five, and wave.

I’ve been wanting a cat since I was 6 years old (16 years old now) and think I may have been expecting too much. Thank you again for your help. I will definitely be trying to ignore her.

Could I ask what her needs are though? Should I just feed her or should I play with her and train her as well?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know whether Casper’s Girl-Human has him wrapped around her finger or whether he’s got her wrapped around his paw. The two are inseparable.

He’ll lay beside her on the sofa, lay on her lap and sleep with her in bed but, some days, he won’t have anything to do with me. Then, he’ll suddenly decide to sleep with me and ignore her. It changes, day by day. Sometimes it’s a week or more. Sometimes it’s every other day.

That‘s just how cats are.

Right now, your cat is still young and trying to figure everyone out.

Give her some time and she’ll settle into a time sharing routine with everybody.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a smart baby!! and you're obviously a good trainer :clap2:
Thank you! She’s very easy to train.

Thank you again for your advice. I tried ignoring her for a bit and she came right back to me! I guess I was annoying her with all the attention. :)

allypuk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's hard, us humans are very sensitive to what we perceive to be rejection and we often apply this to our animal friends, especially when we are doing all the right things. Just have to remind ourselves that the cat is not rejecting us, it i just our interpretation.

CatEars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten (4 months) takes forever to pounce her favorite feather toy whenever we play. She always takes at least 20 seconds to observe before pouncing. However, for some reason, she immediately attacks the feather toy if it touches me at all. She doesn’t show any other signs of being protective (as far as I know). Is this because she’s just a kitten?

Not necessarily an urgent question. Just curious. :)
:dancingblackcat: