My Kitten Keeps Hissing At My Dog

sloanie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So ive run into another problem,My kitten does not like my dog. they can be in the same room together but whenever my dog comes near her she puffs up and hisses.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This maybe because she's seen the older cat hiss at the dog. This may have made her think the dog is a threat. The younger ones are naturally keyed to learn from the older ones. It's how they learn what's safe and manners. I'd take this to mean she's interested in being friends with your cat even if your cat is being a little frightening. Do not think that your cat hasn't noticed EVERY thing the kitten does, she has. She will notice the kitten is doing what she does.

Example our youngest dog refused to eat puppy food. period. She wanted to eat what the big dogs ate, so she grew up eating senior dog food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sloanie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well maybe thats true but my cat hisses at my kitten so i don't know if my kitten really likes my cat and vise versa.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has your kitten been with you? Ditto for the older cat and the dog. Does anyone get along with anyone?

The kitten could still be mimicking the older cat, even if the older one does not hiss at the dog, just at the kitten.

sloanie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat and dog were best friends i haven't had the kitten very long

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe if you can work on the two cats getting along, the kitten will be more likely to accept the dog. Right now, the kitten probably feels outnumbered. Feed the two cats treats - without the dog around - when they are near each other and talk softly to both, while also gently petting each one of them. Just a starting point... search on this site for introducing a new cat and there will some ideas for you to try as well.

sloanie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you i will try that