My Kitten Isn’t Eating As Much After His Vaccines?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a four month old kitten and I just took him to get his 16 week shots. He got all his shots plus was dewormed and was treated with flea and tick medication. He doesn’t have fleas or ticks and he doesn’t go outside but I have a dog that recently got some fleas, so I wanted to make sure my kitten didn’t get any.

When he got home he hid for a couple hours and then came out and was acting kind of drowsy/out of it. He was even sleeping on my bed and then fell off. I was closely monitoring him to make sure he didn’t have an allergic reaction but no he didn’t. However he didn’t have dinner and this morning he didn’t finish his breakfast. I’ve been trying to feed him lunch but he doesn’t want any. Usually he gobbles 4 ounces of his meal in 2 minutes. He’s been sleeping a lot and usually he’s just crazy all day. He just wants to cuddle and sleep.

I’m guessing this might be because of his vaccines? Is this normal?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal for a cat to be lethargic for a day after vaccinations. If he doesn't want to eat, don't push it. Make sure he has plenty of water. Kittens bounce back pretty quickly so he should be back to normal tomorrow.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, that's a pretty common reaction. If he doesn't bounce back in 24-48 hours, I'd be more concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He went back to normal after a few days. Thank you. :)