My kitten is SUDDENLY affectionate after spay. Why?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is 6 months old. I've had her since birth. She's never liked being petted. Never liked having her head or ears scratched. I brought her home at 4pm from the vet yesterday, and by late evening yesterday she was lovable. Wanted her her head rubbed, purring, giving me affection. What happened? Is this the new Bella? Is this the new norm. I thought she was acting like this because her mom rejected her because of the spay and she was coming to me for solace. But maybe it's something else.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It also could be after effects from anesthesia. A lot of cats behavior changes from it for about 24-72 hours. Our tend to get really weird; alternating between overly loving and being hyperactive running around the house like nuts. Oh and being ravenous too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh well I was hoping spaying made kittens more lovable, and that the change started immediately. Maybe it was just a combination of anesthesia and being happy to be home. I have been gone all day today so I havent had the opportunity to see if the change was lasting.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I have seen many cats revert back to kitten behavior which is one of the benefits of spay & neuter. I just got back from visiting my next door neighbor whose 2 males were neutered on Tuesday. One is still rambunctious but the other was playful and a real cuddle-bug, just like he was before those hormones were flowing (our local vet is older and prefers to wait till 6-9 months for s/n).
Please keep us updated on how Bella is doing - and try to look forward to the affectionate kitty in her; cats are hypersensitive to our expectations and emotions :catlove:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan became more affectionate after being spayed. She still loves her play time, but will lid on my lap and purr loud enough to wake the dead. Before the spay, she only did that early in the morning before I got out of bed.