My Kitten Is Scared Of Me

Unreachable dreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there...
So it's my first time here... In my life, I've raised 3 cats. Whiskey, Minou and Chico. But whiskey died last year because some stupid driver didn't see her and he killed her... The other two were hit by a virus that they caught from the pet store they were in... Now i have Mimi. I got her like, 5 days ago from a foster house. I think her previous owners used to abuse her, because she's scared of us humans. I've tried everything to make her comfortable, but she's always terrified of us. I don't know what to do... Like, a few days ago, she started getting used to us and letting us pet her. She still get alot of nightmares though and she's always scared. But tdy, she saw me bringing my phone charger, and she thought I'm going to hit her with it, and she's been terrified of everything around her every since then... She jumps each time someone approachs her and runs away. She's not sitting. She's not calming down. She's just... Paralyzed. What should I do?

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best thing to do right now I would say, is to find a single room where you can confine her. Put her food, water, and litter box in there, and keep her in there. I don't want to give you a length of time, because it will depend upon your cat, but I would say at least several days, if not a week or more. It sounds like she is really scared, so it could very well be longer.

While you have her in there, just go in and spend time with her every day. Sit on the floor, and read a book. Don't try to pay attention to her unless she comes up to you looking for affection. Just let her get used to your home, and to you, for a while. Then take her out for short exploration periods over several days. Cats are very easily traumatized, especially if, as you suspect, they've been abused.

Basically, you want to give her a small, limited environment that she can learn before overwhelming her with an entire house or apartment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Exactly what Iosna said. And remember she's picking up on your emotions so preferably be calm and happy, and use a happy voice when you talk to her. Thank you for giving this little furbaby a chance!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Five days is not a lot. What you are describing, being skittish on arrival to a new home, isn't so unusual, and it can last a few days to a week or so and still be normal. Hard to say without being in your house, but decent chance you are misinterpreting normal skittishness with signs of past abuse. losna losna 's recommendation of setting up a home base is normal and helpful for a new arrival, although 5 days in, you can probably skip that imho. Don't want to erase any gains the cat has already made by forcing them into a single room if they have been roaming.

Patience and gentleness is the key. Don't do stuff the cat doesn't like, be it picking up, or holding the cat still so you can pet. If the cat doesn't want to be be petted, you have to find the time and place it will like it. For a skittish cat, often it will find a spot where it is comfortable, and it may allow petting there -- which is your start.

How old?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hithere::welcomesign::noob: You came to a great site for excellent advice. I have a few suggestions. Stay calm, speak softly and often. Read out loud. Radio or TV, low volume of course. Move slowly. Don't force it but if you make eye contact blink very slowly. Don't follow her into a hidey hole (make sure she has some safe ones) let her have her space. Don't grab at her, let her come to you. And above all patience, patience, patience. Post some photos and keep us updated.:hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unreachable dreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Five days is not a lot. What you are describing, being skittish on arrival to a new home, isn't so unusual, and it can last a few days to a week or so and still be normal. Hard to say without being in your house, but decent chance you are misinterpreting normal skittishness with signs of past abuse. losna losna 's recommendation of setting up a home base is normal and helpful for a new arrival, although 5 days in, you can probably skip that imho. Don't want to erase any gains the cat has already made by forcing them into a single room if they have been roaming.

Patience and gentleness is the key. Don't do stuff the cat doesn't like, be it picking up, or holding the cat still so you can pet. If the cat doesn't want to be be petted, you have to find the time and place it will like it. For a skittish cat, often it will find a spot where it is comfortable, and it may allow petting there -- which is your start.

How old?
The main reason why i think she's been abused is because she got some burn marks. And she runs away every time we raise our hands to do the simplest tasks like, to grab something.
She's 5 months old

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh that poor sweet baby. Thank you for being there and loving her. Time with you and she will find the ugliness isn't going to happen again. They're incredibly resilient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unreachable dreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please give us updates.
I sure will. She's currently sleeping in her bed... We tried to approach her an hour ago, but she was still terrified. She let us pet her for a bit then went to sleep. I hope she's going to be alright tomorrow though...
Thank you very much for helping out

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Continue to give her time, space and patience. When you approach, kneel down or sit or be on your belly so you're closer to her level, and if she's still afraid, lower your eyes and simply go away. I've found that confidently walking away (almost to the point of ignoring) can do a lot to diffuse the fear.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Very important! You know it frightens her so move slowly around her especially your hands and arms. Don't approach or pick her up if she is acting frightened, especially terrified. Put yourself in her place and keep in mind how you would feel of something that scares you. Let her come to you. Like we all mentioned it will take time, don't rush her.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Continue to give her time, space and patience. When you approach, kneel down or sit or be on your belly so you're closer to her level, and if she's still afraid, lower your eyes and simply go away. I've found that confidently walking away (almost to the point of ignoring) can do a lot to diffuse the fear.
:yeah: