my kitten got hurt....

amanda8501

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not sure how but a clump of hair and 2 of his whiskers have been pulled off and it looks like he might have a little scrape on his face as well its on his right cheek. it looks like he ran into somthing.... Im not sure if i should put anything on it though. Any suggestions?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all has your kitten been outside? Or exposed to other cats? If the wound is cool to the touch, just watch it for a few days, but you don't need to put anything on it. if your cat goes outside and it is likely that he encountered another unfriendly cat and got into a scrape, then you are looking at something that might be, or might get infected. If he bumped into a wall, and the scrape isn't deep, you could put something like a little neosporin on it but not much- because they will try and lick it off-

If the wound gets hot, or starts to fester- you need a vet and your cat needs antibiotics

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by amanda8501

Im not sure how but a clump of hair and 2 of his whiskers have been pulled off and it looks like he might have a little scrape on his face as well its on his right cheek. it looks like he ran into somthing.... Im not sure if i should put anything on it though. Any suggestions?
If it is not big wounds you probably dont need do anything. - If he doesnt scratch at it too much of course.
If he scrach you must give him a "elisabethanian collar" I believe it is called in english.

But perhaps you should/want to wash the scratches.

Use saltwater:

1liter water, 1teaspoon kitchensalt. mix it preferably by cooking up.
Let it cool down, preferably about 38-40 Celsius (a little warmer than your finger temperature).

Wash. You dont need to spare the water; use profusely as much you want, it is cheap.

(And dont spare excessive water more than 24 hours, better to make new).

Same water you can use for eyes too, both in cats and humans.

The wound-wash water sold by pharmacy is practically the same.

Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amanda8501

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

First of all has your kitten been outside? Or exposed to other cats? If the wound is cool to the touch, just watch it for a few days, but you don't need to put anything on it. if your cat goes outside and it is likely that he encountered another unfriendly cat and got into a scrape, then you are looking at something that might be, or might get infected. If he bumped into a wall, and the scrape isn't deep, you could put something like a little neosporin on it but not much- because they will try and lick it off-

If the wound gets hot, or starts to fester- you need a vet and your cat needs antibiotics
yeah he doesnt go outside unless i follow him and he's on a harness so he did it somewhere in the house. he likes to play under my bed to i am thinking that it happened under there. i'll try to wash it let it dry then put some neosporin. he doesnt even seem to notice it much so im happy that he isnt in alot of pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amanda8501

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh i meant to ask will his whiskers grow back?