My kitten doesn't like "posh" expensive wet cat food!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im in the same boat. I just spent loads importing canned food from Hong Kong cause theres no Wellness here and the store only sells in bulk. Now i know that the kittens dont want anything to do with lamb and ive got a dozen very expensive cans of beef&lamb that i might feed to the feral downstairs.

We live and we learn.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,
Thanks for the replies and welcome

I am in the East of Europe and have some of those brands not all.

The Sanabelle I have says grain free but I will check the ingredient list.

I am doing one or two cans/ packs to see, so far he eats everything, I gave him a little tuna in water today as I made tuna salad. He really liked that.
I got him from a shelter and the primary food I think was dry, so I am trying to give him mainly wet now to increase his protein for the next few weeks. He is small (I think he may be a she) but I don't think underweight, he seems quite healthy.
I'd forgotten than Sanabelle have grain free foods too :doh: I think the ones I mentioned have a higher meat content, but it isn't as big of an issue if you're feeding mostly wet food.

These articles are a good guide of what to look for when choosing cat food - you may find that easier than food suggestions, as you know what's available to you (and in your budget ;) ):-
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?
How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food?
Grain-free Cat Food – What Does It Mean?
By-products In Cat Food: 5 Facts You Need To Know

Your boy is just gorgeous :lovecat3: I have a real soft spot for black cats :redheartpump:

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think he is pretty gorgeous as well:lovecat3:

I won't give him too much fish just every once in a while when we have tuna ourselves. He ate half a pack of Royal Farm rabbit in gravey for dinner.

Thanks for the links regarding cat food, tonight I looked over the wet foods in the biggest pet supply shop, many had added yeast or brewers yeast. I decided to try more Berkeley from what was available. I will post a pic with their ingredients.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_9844.JPG
This is what I bought a bunch of tonight, he has eaten everything he has tried so far but this looks the best of what I see. The Borizka had yeast so I decided not to get this, this may as well in the vague vegetal extract:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That food looks pretty decent to me :thumbsup: My only question would be what ingredients make up the sauce. The vast majority of sauce or gravy cat foods that I know of use grains/cereals (often unspecified) as thickeners. There are exceptions though....I regularly feed two brands 'in sauce' to my girl, and they're some of her favourites.

ETA: There is such a thing as getting too caught up in feline nutrition and ingredients lists ;)My personal preference is for high meat content wet food, ideally with little to no fillers (I don't mind a small amount of vegetables, or even low levels of rice), but the cats have to be happy too. The best food in the world is useless unless it gets into the cat! :winkcat:

Last edited:

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding them mostly food with chicken or fish? You could maybe try duck pate mixed with a bit of warm water. A different protein could maybe help.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all again who replied, I am just back looking at this thread and discovered the 'purraise' button!
I have now tried Bozita, he is not too keen so far but last night I did get a small pack of Bozita duck to try today.
I have also have tried Vom Feinstein that goes down ok, likes Schesir but Dukes Farm is hit or miss.
He loves raw chicken on the bone, and other raw meat, so give that from time to time.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here spent a fortune wouldn't touch it! I settled on simply nourish and authority(wet only) .simply nourish is definitely cleaner of the 2 but authority wet hosts far better ingredients than the dry I do the chicken and rice my boys didn't like grain free (of course) but they seem to do just fine with the grain I believe a lot of that is hype unless your cat has an allergy as long as the protein is high and real meat is the top ingredient without a crazy list of fillers you should be just fine. My boys are happy right in the middle(they would prefer the MCDonalds of cat food but that's not happening) so I compromised