My Juli has diarrhea šŸ˜æ

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Juli had a bowel movement earlier, and it was solid! Formed, and brown. Iā€™m still giving her the S Boulardii. Should I keep it up through Friday, just to be safe?
No harm in doing so. S boulardii doesnā€™t culture lasting colonies. Its effect will wear off within a day or two after you stop. And if she has diarrhea when you stop, you can always restart. Thereā€™s no harm in making it a regular addition to her diet if she needs it on a maintenance or long term basis. You can even taper her off (quarter pill twice a day) if you are nervous about discontinuing.

The only long-term ā€œhazardā€ of giving it regularly is that she may grow to dislike the taste as my Krista did. But Krista was taking as much as half a pill four times a day for over a month to treat an antibiotic resistant clostridium infection. I think once we were done she probably associated it with all that gut and butt trauma. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜æ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No harm in doing so. S boulardii doesnā€™t culture lasting colonies. Its effect will wear off within a day or two after you stop. And if she has diarrhea when you stop, you can always restart. Thereā€™s no harm in making it a regular addition to her diet if she needs it on a maintenance or long term basis. You can even taper her off (quarter pill twice a day) if you are nervous about discontinuing.

The only long-term ā€œhazardā€ of giving it regularly is that she may grow to dislike the taste as my Krista did. But Krista was taking as much as half a pill four times a day for over a month to treat an antibiotic resistant clostridium infection. I think once we were done she probably associated it with all that gut and butt trauma. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜æ
ok Iā€™ll keep it up for another week or so, let her recover from my overzealousness with all the diet changes these past few weeks šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø. Reset. And then go back to the drawing board , and do it right this time. With patience!

I gotta say, thank god for this forum. Thereā€™s way too much information/misinformation out there, and so many gimmicky stuff sold! Itā€™s like daunting trying to sift through it all.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone whose cat has tummy troubles must try:

-Nulo MedalSeries Cat & Kitten cod dry food
-Tiki Cat Aloha wet food

Used in conjunction these foods are a damn near miraculous cure for cats with tummy troubles.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't recommend the dry food (or any dry food) for tummy issues.

The wet food is probably what did it. Tiki Cat doesn't use many gums or thickeners. They don't include nonsense grains, starches, fruits, or vegetables. And the Aloha line has pumpkin.

You can cut to the chase and add pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin, not pie filling) to whatever wet food your cats are already eating.

Anyway, it sounds like the mischief has been managed. Now it's just nerves over discontinuing the s. boulardii. Understandable. But it worked once. There's no reason to believe it won't work again if her loose poops return.