My Indoor Cat Goes Feral When Outside....why???

Kingbenji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is a Siamese breed and he is 2years old, he is a indoor cat since he was a kitten and has always had access to the balcony and is happy and normal when he is out on the balcony.....but we bought a harness and lead and took him for a few walks outside around the yard but if we go near him or touch him he growls and his fur gets puffed up and he just flips a switch and is totally feral and it is a mission to get him back inside but when inside he is normal and fine again...we want him to enjoy his time outside but he is just too crazy when he is out.....does anybody know why he acts like this?...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Either sensory overload, as Kawenu Kawenu has suggested, or the scents of other cats is driving him crazy.

Is there any reason why the balcony isn't enough outdoor time for him?

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to discontinue walks with our adopted stray for this reason. He lived outside for a year on his own and he LOVES being outside. He wants to be outside by himself all the time. But we have coyotes literally on our street so this just isn't possible. He loved his leash walks, but he started going crazy when it was time to come inside. Puffed tail, biting, thrashing, hissing, growling -- stuff he never does when he is indoors all the time. I think for some cats, outdoors just brings out the feral in them. Their instincts kick in and overpower their normal behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kingbenji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there, thanks kawenu I thought this could be a reason as well...I have tried to take him out in different times of the day but still the same response....Wild and feral like...

Kingbenji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi feebysowner, there are really no cats around our area, so maybe just the sensory overload....

Kingbenji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi cheeseburger, I am agreeing with the natural instincts kicking in, and sensory overload, but I wish he would just chill out a little, but tried so many times and it’s looking like he will just have to accept the balcony...

Kingbenji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also the balcony is always open so he comes and goes as he wishes except when we go to bed at night, and open it again when we get up about 5am but all day it is open for him and he just lies around out there and watches birds and that...