My Ill Little Girl...

lilmopeep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has not been a good month for my girl, Licorice, who is a tuxedo long-hair, with big gold eyes, and a little pink nose and paw pads.

It started off with a watery eye - I took her to the vet, and he closely looked at her eye, even with magnifiers. He gave her antibiotic eyedrops, which she did not have much of a problem with - as long as I wrapped her up in a towel first!

That resolved, and a few weeks later, I found 2 "lumps" on her, which I did not realize were lymph nodes! The vet she saw (her regular vet was on vacation), did an aspiration on both nodes, and sent her home with Clavamox, in case it was an infection. They did culture the aspirate, and it did produce a bacterial growth. I still don't want to think the dreaded lymphoma, but it is a real possibility.

The Clavamox gave her bad diarrhea, and then she started not eating regularly, and she would throw up what she did take in, no matter how little.

I ended up taking her to the local 24-hr Animal ER. They kept her overnight 2 nights. They did an abdominal ultrasound, where they saw some intestinal thickening and spleen abnormalities. They redid an aspiration on the one lymph node out of the 2 that is still swollen, but the results were the same as with the one done with the original vet.
I got to bring her home yesterday afternoon, because they said she had started eating again, and not vomiting, baby food. She ate 1/4 can of sensitive digestion food last night, with no problem. No vomiting.

This morning, she started her new prescriptions - both pill form. One anti nausea and one an antibiotic. I think I overdid loading her up her food dish when I fed her today - with 1/2 can of sensitive digestion food, with a handful of dry on top. She ate most of it, however, 8 hours later, she just puked up food!

So, I am going to get her some meat baby foods, and not load her dish up so much. Hopefully this will not make her sick.

I don't want to do any kind of open surgery on her for biopsy. If they could do it with a laparoscopy, I might think about it. But right now, I am hoping and praying it is just an infection, and will clear up. That probably is not realistic, but I have to tell myself that!

I can tell she doesn't feel as good today as yesterday. She would purr when I pet her yesterday, she was so happy to be home. She did sleep with me all last night.

Right now she is just laying next to me with her eyes closed...pets don't bring out the purrs. I am just feeling very sad.

Top this all off with the fact that I have her littermate brother - who sees a cardiologist for HCM. Never in a million years did I think that she would get sick and possibly be gone before her brother! His cardiologist calls him his miracle kitty. I think he has been seeing him for 7 years.

They turned 12 on July 19, 2018.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm so sorry!
I think the anti nausea isn't doing the job. You might talk to them about that.

You're right, more frequent smaller meals could be better.
Sending lots of love and healing thoughts!
Let us know what they say about the fact that she was doing so nicely yesterday, and not today.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry . I have a similar problem with my cat. She feels sick every morning and sometimes during the day. Besides that she is ok health wise. I feed her 3x a day small meals. I keep thinking I've found the answer then something happens to show that proves me wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilmopeep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scheduled a follow up appointment for my kitty.

She was originally seen at this vet - not my regular vet - and I subsequently had to take her to the ER where she spent 2 nights in the hospital.

She has been taking antibiotics - first Clavomox (which made her unable to eat, and have diarrhea) and she is just finishing up Amoxicillin.

The swelling of her lymph nodes is gone. But - the one in her groin area has a squishy feeling to it. Could it be from being stretched with the swelling?

Her appetite is back - she is eating complete meals without getting sick.

She just still seems a little "off". I am hoping it is just the amoxicillin, but I cannot help but worry...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her appetite is back - she is eating complete meals without getting sick.
Thank goodness for this!!

I don't know about the squishy node, hopefully your vet is able to determine what's going on with that as well as with her not feeling quite herself yet.

Let us know what they say :vibes::hugs: :redheartpump:

lilmopeep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Licorice had her followup visit today.

Other than re-aspirating an area (I am pretty sure it is the "squishy" area), all other signs are great.

What was the origin of this whole mess? I don't know, maybe a bug bite that eventually went into a systemic infection? All I know is it was a bad one - she has done a complete turn around.

Aside from waiting for a call to say what if anything the aspirate showed, she will hopefully need no further treatment!

She is definitely a poster kitty for as soon as you notice something wrong with one of your cats (or any other pet), get them in to see a vet without delay

lilmopeep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The final update on Licorice is that I got a call today from the vets office. The aspirate taken on Thursday was all clear! So she is her healthy and happy self again!