My husband tried to save baby bunny

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was on an important phone call yesterday afternoon when my husband came racing down the stairs telling me to look outside. It turns out a group of crows were pecking at a baby bunny in the street, then picking it up and dropping it. :eek: The mother rabbit was trying to chase the crows away while running back and forth in the street. DH ran outside to scare the crows and protect the baby bunny. The crows were diving and cawing but he managed to scoop the baby up with some cardboard from the garage. He brought the baby inside our garage because it was still breathing. I was about to contact the wildlife rescue we had been to last year when we rescued a warbler (bird) but the bunny completely stopped breathing. :bawling2: We waited awhile but unfortunately it was too late. The mother rabbit was sitting under our neighbor's truck waiting and watching since the nest was in our neighbor's front yard. Both DH and I couldn't get the bunny out of our thoughts all day. I took a pic of the bunny only because I would need to send it to the wildlife rescue if it were still alive. If you look closely under it's ear you can notice where the crows had been pecking at it. I'm thankful DH happened to be looking out the window at the time but so sorry we couldn't save him or her.

IMG_1685.jpeg

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, so sorry you guys went through this.
Nature is pretty harsh sometimes. There’s a reason a group of crows is called a “murder”. 🫤
Furballsmom Furballsmom makes a good point, though. It’s important for the momma bunny to know her baby is gone. Otherwise, she might waste time and energy stressing about it, possibly ignoring the rest of her brood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Does mama bunny know her baby is dead? Were you able to let her see the body?
I called the manager of the pet store we shop at because she was a vet tech and lives in an area with a lot of wildlife. She told us to place the bunny in the hole where the nest is so the mother would find the bunny and that's what we did.