My House Cat Likes To Go Outside

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys. So my cat wants to go outside, she went a few times and i found her pretty easil around the streets. She did it again now and she was chilling with a white cat and i was like wtf XD. Anyways she is 9 months and not sterilized. What should i do? Is this normal? Should i let her outside and then back inside again? I have no clue on what to do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other cat was peeking from the window.. XD. Should i be worried or something. I cant let her get pregnant. The white cat is probably female tho.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well if you don’t want her to get pregnant, you have to spay her ASAP, otherwise if she’s going out, it’s 99% risk that she will get pregnant at this time of the year.
:yeah:

I'm glad you asked for advice. Please refer to these two Articles - the first one discusses how to bring an outdoor cat inside: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
- the second explains why you should spay or neuter your cat:
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Best of luck, please let us know if you have any other concerns. :rbheart:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. When I read your question tittle my first thought was “easy harness train her.” Now that I find out she is not spayed I’m thinking “Oh my goodness get her spayed this week!” Until then I would keep 2 closed doors between her and the outside/tomcats at all times. (Lock her in a bedroom and if she is escapes the room, she will still be trapped in the house..... plus she can not sneak out the front door when you enter/leave the house.)

You can google a local low cost spay/neuter clinic. My local clinic does it for 40$ ..... at that price there is no excuse not to do it. I know that sounds harsh but the thing is the people who are such advocates for spay/neuter know that thousands of healthy kittens are euthanized each year..... because they can’t find them a home, or they are to young and are orphaned before they can eat solids, or because they got an easily preventable disease that will kill them. We also know that every kitten that finds a good home from a ’ooooops my cat got out’ takes the place of a kitten in a shelter who desperately needs a home.

I also hope your cat is up to date on her vaccines. They have low cost vaccine clinics to.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, yeah, have her spayed right away. Like, call the vet tomorrow morning and get the first available appointment! She probably met a male while outside, and if she didn't meet a male this time, she probably will next time she gets out!

After she's spayed, if she still wants to go outside, you can look into different options. But it's just not safe for an unspayed cat to be outside at all, even in an enclosure, because a tomcat will be very persistent in getting to her.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't let you cat outside. First, she can get pregnant until she is spayed. Second, a dog or other animal could kill her. Third she will get parasites, fleas and ticks. At a minimum. A malicious adult might poison her, or shoot her with a pellet gun. Or a teenager might do that.

I live in a suburban environment. I have retrieved more than one dead cat from the lawn. Animal control determined that a dog had killed her.

Cat Buddies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.. did you catify your home? Also, schedule daily playtime with your cats.. I think that will help :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you need help finding a low cost clinic to have your cat spayed? She needs to stay 100% inside until she is done, and you should have her spayed as soon as possible in case she has already mated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What makes you think the white cat was a female? I highly doubt your sexually mature cat wants to go outside to hang out with female cats. You can almost guarantee that was a male and she is pregnant now. So..... please keep her in, spay her asap, and test her now too if she mated with the white cat or any others, as you have no idea what kind of diseases they might be carrying.

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Damn, so many answers! Thank you guys. I'll spay her in a few day. I hope it goes well. I am a bit nervous.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to be nervous. It is a low risk minor surgery. Follow the post-surgery recommendations as best you can and keep an eye on the cat, but the risks of complications are very very low unless you ignore the instructions entirely.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just try to keep her in your room, with her collar on for at least a week .... to try to keep her from jumping to much. Plus the girls really like to pull:bite out their stitches.

I like the inflatable collars (get the right size) because it allows them more movement. Plus I will take off the collar for 30-60 minutes to feed them/play with them ..... while keeping a very sharp eye for any kind of licking around their belly .... they try to groom the belly, the collar goes back on.

The vet should answer all your questions about after care. She will be fine.
:vibes:
Remember spaying her greatly reduces her chances of breast/ovarian cancer. Plus less of a chance for her to get hit by a car or have a run in with a dg.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you don't need to be overrun with kittens. They can have three litters a year. They also can come into heat as young as 5 months, so you are lucky so far. I myself would keep her inside after spaying. We have at least a dozen little graves on our property from cats that chanced the street, two after twelve years of crossing. It is just not worth the heartache to see them dead in the street, and it ALWAYS happens, sooner or later.

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spayed her and the doc gave me the colar. I didnt put it on yet. She fell from the bed because she is very dizzy from the surgery. Iam a bit worried but its fine. Shes ok and she doesnt seem to touch the area. The stiches are from the inside.I feel a bit wierd...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is doing well. Try to prevent her from climbing anything for now, until she is a bit more steady.

You don't need to feel weird. You did the right thing for your cat, and she will be much healthier and happier as a result.

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I woke up at 7 o clock and she was licking the whole area. I hope she won't get contaminated I will. Call the doc when she opens

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn’t contamination that is the real issue. It is her pulling out her stitches. Count them now, so if she starts pulling them out you will know. The kitten I was talking about only had 3 external stitches, but they have more inside them because a spay is more invasive then a neuter. If you see swelling, redness or blood, at the very least take a picture of it and email it to the vet. That way if need be you can take her to get re-stitched if need be. When down have her in the cone. Boy cats don’t pick at their stitches 1/3 as much as female cats do when they get fixed (they use the glue on the boys.)