My Gracie is driving me crazy

lyndas01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope that someone can give me some advise.  My cat (12 years old) and a princess has just been diagnosed with IBS - at least that's what the symptoms point to.  She has had many problems in her life  - Diabetes which went into remission.  Arthritis  then  return of the diabetes (insulin 2x per day) - kidney problems - a type of "acid reflux" and now IBS.  I have tried everything!!!!! and have spent many thousands of dollars on vet bills and different types of food.  She is just never settled and seems to be unhappy all the time..  She will sit for a few minutes then get up and pace around and see what kind of trouble she can get into.  She has taken to eating my fake plants, anything that looks green and grass like.  I started growing cat grass for her and she devours it like an addict.  I am feeding her Hills prescription i/d wet and EN dry - she is always hungry.  I also have tried to fill her up by feeding her friskies.  She is on prednisone every three days.  I am at my wits end.  She now has decided to see what's on the counter and the dining room table - which is a no-no.  Does any one have any advice?  

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry your princess is having so many problems at once.

Friskies and dry food have among other ingredients carbohydrates which cats can't metabolize and which I would think are particularly bad for diabetic cats.  I'm glad you're considering a raw diet. 

Carolina's cat had IBD and some other issues.  You might want to read this thread--it's a big long but has lots of good advice.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239771/...lucky-bugsy-and-hope-to-raw-challenges-galore

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With IBS, kidney problems, and diabetes, for any of those I would recommend discontinuing the dry food entirely, and especially since she has ALL of those diseases! Dry food is just too carby (sugars!), dry (hard on the kidenys), and hard on the digestion. There are several flavors of Friskies Paté that are suitable for diabetic cats and CRF cats. . .I know Turkey and Giblets is one recommended for diabetes but I'll have to look up the kidney flavors. And I don't know if Friskies is suitable for IBS kitties but I suppose it depends what triggers her IBS flareups.

Are you considering a raw diet, or was this posted here accidentally? If you want to try raw, just give her a few small pieces of raw chicken and see what she does. Her response will show you how hard/easy it'll be to make the transition. You CAN transition even the most hardcore kibble addict with enough time and patience, but, wow, it takes a lot of that patience! :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyndas01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi  Thank you so much for answering.  I am aware that giving Gracie dry food is not the best for her diabetes.  I have another cat - C.T. who was also diagnosed with diabetes over a year ago, and I immediately took him off dry food and he has been in remission since then.  But as far as Gracie is concerned I am willing to try just about anything at this point.  With everything that has been going on with her I have been trying for almost 2 years to try to make her happy and content.  It has been a struggle and I have even thought that maybe I am not doing her any favors..........but I love her very much and am not quite ready to give up on her.  There HAS to be an answer out there.   I have done some research as far as "raw food" and am wondering if this will be the solution and will try the raw chicken thing to see how she reacts.  I went to the local pet store today to see what they had  and the associate there was quite helpful and knowledgeable.  I picked up some Origen catfood (they didn't have the canned) and have mixed a few kibbles in with Gracie's wet food (Hill's i/d) so will see if this fills her up.  I have tried many different types of wet food and she hated the turkey/giblets.  Any suggestions on what brand of canned raw food?

This whole thing with Gracie has tested my patience to the limit.  

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found helpful information on which were low carb Fancy Feast canned cat food on Janet and Binky's cat food analysis page.

The two types of Fancy Feast that I feed my diabetic-controlled-with-diet elderly cat (17 years old does count as elderly I would think) are Classic Turkey and Giblet and Classic Tender Beef Feast. Both are pate type. Read the labels and they have NO corn gluten, wheat gluten, etc.

There's also an Ocean Whitefish that's very low in carbs but I only offer that as a very infrequent treat.