my good deed for today

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well its after 12am, I happened to look out my bedroom window and next door has left her cat out again!!!! Now bear in mind its belting down with snow here we've had about 3 inches in as many hours on top of what we already have!

So I've just been out and one of my wheelie bins is lying down so I've chocked it open with another bin put a bowl of food out and some newspapers and a thick old towel in it, incase she wants to go in. I can't see her at the moment because she's mostly white! I only just caught sight of her trying to find a spot in the bushes and I couldn't not go do something.

I'm soaking now but I hope she goes in it out of this snow!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby. What's wrong with people, letting their cats out in that kind of weather? We used to have a cat flap in the laundry room window and always had cats staying overnight. Years ago, one neighbor let her cat out every night, and she would climb the ivy on the front of our house and spend the night in bed with us. So much for cats wanting to be outside all night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's little foot prints so someone's been in!

Tricia I don't believe one minute a cat chooses to be out in this, I've never seen this cat go into her house but I'm not sure, I know she feeds her but that's about it :( ill never understand it I really won't

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for taking care of the kitty.

Years ago, when my son was younger, there was a black cat coming around outside. We called him S-T-R-E-T-C-H, spelled just like that because he was an incredibly long cat. I'd feed him on the deck during the day. Well, one night, I heard something in our son's bedroom. Knocked on the door and he told me to come in. And there, curled up on the bed......S-T-R-E-T-C-H! Busted. I asked him how long that had been going on and evidently, he had become part of our household about two weeks or so before me finding out about it. Our DS would go to bed and, when S-T-R-E-T-C-H would appear at the window, DS would open the window, the cat would come in and sleep. In the morning, DS would open the window again, and the cat would go back outside, up around to the deck and have breakfast. Then he'd go out and about during the day, come back to the deck for supper and then go sleep with DS again. Sadly, not too long after I found out that he was sleeping with our son, he disappeared. We never did find out what happened to him. I was going to take him to the vet for a check-up and we were going to just bring him inside with the rest of the gang. But he was gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awww that is a shame about s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

Is newspaper ok in the "shelter" I made last night, I wanted to try and make it seem a bit warmer because its horrifically cold here at the moment and the wind is up to :(

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
awww that is a shame about s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

Is newspaper ok in the "shelter" I made last night, I wanted to try and make it seem a bit warmer because its horrifically cold here at the moment and the wind is up to :(
Newspaper is good. Do you have some old towels or something made of fleece you could put in there, too?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really easy - and inexpensive! - to make a self-warming cat bed. My cats love this.

Get a car windshield sunshade, the kind with a silvery foil cover attached to a thin foam backing. You may be able to find it at a Dollar Store. If not, NAPA auto parts, maybe Wal-Mart auto department.

Use a pair of scissors to cut to desired size. Slip it into a pillow case, foil side up. When the cat lays on it its own body warmth will be reflected back up.

I may have mentioned this on a different thread but it's O.K. if I'm repeating myself since this is so useful in this really cold weather.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me I would take this poor kitty in and find it a new furever home with someone that actually cares about it.  And if the neighbour asked if I saw their cat, I would tell them  'No!" and leave it at that.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think ya'll may be being a little judgmental here...
I could just be thinking on the bright side, but I imagine the situation more like this: People find a poor stray cat wandering around the neighborhood, and find the kindness in their hearts to feed it and love it. They make a nice shelter outside where aj can't see it. The people wish that they could take the poor kitty inside, but they rent and aren't allowed to have any pets.
I could be wrong, though.

Anyway, it's wonderful of you to give the poor cat shelter. It sounds like horrible weather to be stuck outside in. :(

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know your good deed was a few days ago, but since you've mentioned that this kitty's been out before, I have a feeling your cat shelter will be getting used again.

I like Catapault's advice for a self-warming kitty bed.   In a pinch, newspaper is ok, but just temporarily.  Towels and other fabrics, as well as newspapers, will absorb moisture from the air and become wet, cold and can even freeze.  Better to get some fresh, clean straw and put a generous amount far back in the shelter.  The cat will make a "nest" in the straw, which will keep her warm since straw is hollow and acts as insulation.  Hay will do too, but straw is best.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to do a good deed for someone once a day. Opening a door or picking up something they drop. Something little.

dejolane