My Friend Wants To Give Me His Cat

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

As some may know, nearly three months ago I adopted a brand new kitten that I introduced to my resident cat. Of course the introduction was a bit rocky - cats I suppose rarely take kindly to new comers, however, I'm happy to say now that my two boys get on very well - the kitten sometimes bullies my resident cat, but I see my resident cat trying to engage him in play quite frequently so I know they really have grown attached! It was a rough and rocky road, but I'm so happy they're happy.

All that being said, I now have a friend who wants to give me his 5 year old cat as his significant other (Who is moving into the house) does not like her.

The cat apparently is aggressive towards her and only likes limited contact with him. Prior to him talking about giving the cat away, I suggested he give her valerian to calm down (As was suggested to me here from fellow users!) and also to take her to the vet to rule out health issues. He didn't follow through with either suggestion :(

Now he says he just doesn't want to deal with her and began talks of having her put down - I offered to take the cat before she's put down! But I back peddled a little on it as I'm not sure if I'm totally in over my head. I'm fairly new to cats so I'm no cat expert or anything and my resident kitty JUST adapted to the new kitten coming to stay. I'd hate to stress him out more with yet another roommate (Then again, she's an older kitty and may grow to like my cat and may put the kitten in his place even! lol), but I can't be sure.

I guess my question is - would a third cat in such a short period of time be too stressful for my resident cat? Will it be too stressful for me? Am I too inexperienced for a problem kitty?

Not sure what to do, but I'd hate to see an otherwise healthy cat put to sleep.:(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm with you, that kitty needs someone!
If you decide to do this there are lots of people here who can help with everything.

I don't think it's too soon, and you sound like a terrific person who can handle things. It's possible the cat may not be a problem in your household :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, I think, that this can be done. I'm going to give you links to several articles on dealing with any issues I see that might arise.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (just in case)

Follow the steps in the first one, and use the others as needed. Patience is key here, and remember...you can only go as fast as the most timid or reluctant cat!

Sounds like this girl needs you.

OH...you can also use chamomile tea as a calming agent, should you need it. Brew a cup from commerical tea bags, chill it, and administer via syringe. Use up to 3 teaspoonfuls (or up to 3 tablespoonfuls for very large cats) per dose, up to 3 doses a day. I always recommend the commercial tea bags from the coffee/tea aisle of the grocery store because those are always German chamomile, which is safe for cats in those amounts. What grows in gardens is often English chamomile, which is toxic to cats. It's easy to confuse the two.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like this kitty needs a more capable person and you definitely sound a lot more capable than your friend. It doesn't sound like your friend cares at all. :( Since you're open to the idea I hope you do give it a try. I think this poor cat deserves another shot at life! It wont be easy but who knows maybe this new cat will be better behaved with someone like you.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's too early as long as you know how to do introductions. It's certainly worth a shot if it will save her life imo. In your shoes, I'd take her. That way she has a chance. It could very well be that she's a different cat in a new home. Your friend might not've been the best fit for her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry that your "friend" has put you in this position. And I totally understand your concern for his cat, and your offer to take her in, but as you are new to cats, you don't want to get in over your head by taking on more than you can handle. Each additional cat will increase your expenses, plus you have to be prepared to cover any medical issues that could pop up. And then there is the issue of cat introductions.

Not to say it couldn't work. All 3 cats might become best buds. And additional expenses may not be an issue for you. But still do think about it, before making a hasty decision.

Are there no kill shelters in your area? Or animal rescue groups? If so, would you be able to maybe foster this kitty until you see how her behaviour is away from her current owner, and then you could either decide to keep her, or they could find a fur-ever home for her. Just something else to consider/look into.

Here's one more TCS article that might be helpful: The Multi-cat Household

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply - my friend has been overseas as of late and busy with his significant other's move in so I haven't gotten a chance to ask about the cat again.

All that being said, I am somewhat hesitant due to the expenses associated with a third cat. I feed my cats pretty high quality food and the duo have run up quite a bit of vet expenses as of late between urinary problems and just regular vaccines and check ups. I also have health issues of my own which really ran up my expenses as of late, but I've been managing everything and my head is still above water, but money has been a bit tight. I'm hoping for better health this coming year though so fingers crossed.

Because of my hesitance to take the cat in, I have been asking around, trying to find a home for her - I have managed to find a family that is interested. I'm a little concerned if it will be a good fit because the supposed behavioral issues of the cat and them having a child. I plan to ask my friend to get a photo of the cat so I can send it to them to see what they think.

If they don't want the cat or if things don't go well when they meet the cat, I'll keep looking around and if all else fails, I'll probably end up taking her in (Maybe at least until I find someone who wants her?). Personally, I'd like to meet the cat myself to see if the cat is really a problem/handful or if he's just trying to find an excuse to get rid of her since his significant other doesn't like the cat. I really hope that's not the case, but nothing seems to surprise me anymore.:ohwell:

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and I'll definitely keep trying to help this little kitty.:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fostering her is certainly an option. And even if you aren't able to be her Forever Home, I'd feel better knowing that she is in your capable, loving hands "until."

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Additional expense of a 3rd cat is a very valid concern. I don't blame you. I am financially responsible for 2 and my bf 1. I can't imagine paying for 3. But it's great that you're looking for homes for him. I think fostering would be a good choice too if this family falls through as a suitable adopter.